Water in my Firebird

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Water in my Firebird

Every time it rains I get water soaked carpet in the rear passenger side of my 89 Firebird. This has T Tops. I can't find any water on sides of vehicle or on seat. It just soaks the carpet. No holes in the floor pan. Anyone have any ideas where water is leaking into the car? (Seals appear to look good on T Tops)

posted by  fourriversbear

Gen III F-bodies are notorious for leaking around the hatch and then the water collects in the rear footwell because it's the low point.

posted by  vwhobo

mine does it, too (to a lesser degree) ---it's the t-tops... :banghead:

my seals look perfect, too-- i think it's the junction betw/ the t-top end seal and the pillar seal (at least on mine...)

posted by  dodger65

evertime someone comes in with one of those cars, the forst thing they say they hate is the leaky t-tops. Im sure a good glass guy can seal that properly.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

alright im giving up on the post editing because the page won't load so yes I know it is supposed to be EVERY TIME and FIRST not forst. so please just dont. :banghead: I dropped out of english class :mrgreen:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

yeah, but mine is just like a drop or two per torrential rainstorm...

my mustang used to get hosed out just driving near a lawn sprinkler... :laughing: :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

Looking at the price of new weatherstripping for that Bird. :banghead: I want to make sure I get the right ones. Water does not drip into the car when it rains, it just appears in the passenger rear foot well. After close inspection of the seals I can see small tears in the formed door seals (at top wear the meet the T Top seal). Would this cause water to leak into the car unseen?

posted by  fourriversbear

I had the same problem in my 86. Your gonna have to get new t top weatherstripping. I got mine from classic industries there the best with pricing that ive seen. Oer (original equipment reproduction) was 200 or so for just the t top set all the other weatherstripping is more. A complete kit for the car is like 800 this should fix the problem it fixed mine. Let me know how it goes I gotta do my camaro as well but that one just drips a little on my leg.

posted by  MustangFan424

that's pretty much what mine does, but mine is just a few drops on the corner of the back seat... you don't see it anywhere else on the way down...

posted by  dodger65

I like so many amoung you have the F-body Leak. My seals look pretty good even though I know they could be better. I used to have the same problem as you and thought that maybe it was by the T-top or door area. It turns out the leak was in my rear window under the outside window molding. It is just be another place to check.

posted by  Kblerelfs

Exactly as I stated in the second post of this thread... Of course that was completely ignored so you probably will be too.

posted by  vwhobo

you were not ignored... we're just bringing up other places that they are known to leak...

posted by  dodger65

Your Message