^_^

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  ^_^

Hey,

Im just wondering if anyone has any good links or good ideas of where to find out more information on Cars. I have just became interested into them lately and I have exhausted any realiable internet resources I can find. Im not completely dumb but I still know shit all about cars.

Also, anyone seen a SilEighty for sale and how much are they going for these days. A SilEighty in Aus. I mean, just out of curiosity. Its not like im anywhere near getting a care... or even a license (15).

Anyway I understand how a car works. And lots of the mods. things I would like to know is like what is standard lift on a cam, and standard pulse-width etc. Also sway bars etc. I know what most of the stuff does, what I wanna know is how. And one last thing 'cat-back exhaust' stands for exhaust systems from the catalytic converter rearwards right? Just guessing. Anyone got a good suggestion of where I can go to practice driving privately and work on control... just a generic area because I cant think of anywhere.

This is probably pointless but I figure may aswell ask anyway.

And before you say, yes I buy car mags. I read every auto article on howstuffworks too.

posted by  Naota

Well Naota,

Sounds like you have it covered. Basically you need to determine what you want to know and then research it either online, in a library or whatever. If you don't know how to do that, then we can't really help you here. You said you don't know anything about cars then you talk about wanting to know about standard lift cams and pulse widths( I assume you are talking pulse width with regards to fuel injectors??). Seems like a little too high of a jump for a beginner to me?! I wish you the best but I don't think you'll find what you are looking for here. Howstuffworks is a GREAT site. Keep looking man, there are tons of resources available to you out there. :smoke:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Oh and...how in the heck would we know where you can go to practice your driving? Where are you? LOL......From your posting I could draw a guess that you're in Australia......That being the case, I'm only 12K miles away. :banghead: Even if not the case, none of us have a clue as to where you are and if it's in your profile, I have no time for looking at everyone's profiles, LOL. I guess deductive reasoning goes out the window with a 15 year old, but thanks for stopping by dude. :thumbs:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Notice I used the word generic... least I think I did. I don't mean a specific location. I mean like "I find that car parks are good at 12 at night." or something along those lines... "go to a race track. Its pretty cheap to get in. Only about x on average." I dont know something ppl wouldnt really think of. But thanks for pointing out there is no such thing.

And I said I know shit about cars... knowing the average pulse-width is nothing too complex so I dont see why it would be above a beginner. Im at that level, I know the physics of it etc. its just hard to find out whats normal, whats not. I read I magazine and it says 'a pulse-width of xxxx' and I want to know if thats really long or really short but I cant really seem to find crossrefrences. Ditto with lift (valve lift ofcourse). When I say beginner I mean converting Torque to ponies is a pain in the ass and kW **** me up. Thanks for the Reply Dude :thumbs:

posted by  Naota

Dude, you are so conveluted you're making my head hurt. If you have all the answers to where you could go and practise driving, then why ask us? :banghead: I don't recommend people to go on public/private property for "practise." I recommend you go to some family land or your own and do it, other than that, not sure what you expect here!

As for the comment "you know shit about cars" yet think that most people that "know shit about cars" would have a clue what a pulse width is.....I don't think the'd even know what system in the car you're talking about bud. COULD SOMEONE BACK ME UP HERE??????
YOU might know what a pulse width is, but if you do, common sense would dictate to me that you would know a lot more about cars than you give yourself credit for. If you do not, as you claim, then I am not too sure how someone with no clue about cars would suddenly know and understand pulse widths unless you are speaking a different language than I?! Can you explain pulse widths to me yet, cannot change your tires or do an oil change and lube? :screwy: :screwy: A pulse width to me is the length of time that a fuel injector is electrically stimulated by the PCM on the intake stroke. Good luck in your quest for more information. :banghead:

posted by  cmeseadoin

http://www.ianai.net/jokes/forumpix/look,%20it's%20a%20newbie.jpg

posted by  SuperJew

One good area to practice driving, is a cemetery, at 11:00 pm. That should be pretty safe and there is a very, very good chance you won't kill anyone. But, take care, cause only the good die young :laughing:

posted by  lectroid

that and if you have any extremely large residential neighbo(u)rhoods near you. or maybe your local high school's car park. practice parking. :thumbs:

posted by  SuperJew

Is a car park the same as a parking lot? I'm serious. We have park and ride lots, for persons that commute to different areas for their jobs, but I've never heard of a car park.//// Park your car in a driveway----Drive on a parkway ? English language makes a lot of sense :screwy:

posted by  lectroid

Yeah, we're a bunch of cracked up fother muckers ain't we? :laughing:

posted by  cmeseadoin

yeah the Car Park is the same thing as a Parking Lot...and yeah we also have
"Park & Ride" lots in our area...

posted by  SuperJew

We're not having a "cross-dialect" linguistic turpitude here are we? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  cmeseadoin

A "cross-dialect" linguistic turpitude without me involved? That's not bloody reight. A supermarket car park would be a good place to practice in at a quite time when there's not lots of lads and lasses around, filling their car and 4x4 boots with supermarket goods.

posted by  snoopewite

TRANSLATION: A "cross-dialect" linguistic turpitude without me involved? That's not f*cking right. A supermarket parking lot would be a good place to practice in at a quite time when there's not lots of people around, filling their car and 4x4 trunks with supermarket goods.

thank you. :laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

haha :mrgreen:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Notice all the other reply's. Besides yours, now they recommended Generic places to drive. When I was mention those places in my last post how was I to know if that was a good Idea or not? I cant drive yet, I was just curios. Another thing 'i dont know shit about cars'... its all relative ffs. How do you know what I am comparing my level of knowledge to. If I said 'I dont know shit about cars' in comparison to a Fire Hydrant then obviously I have no concept of what a car is at all. If I said 'I don't know shit about cars' in comparison to a mechanic then I would probably be around my current level of understanding. As it were I was saying 'I dont know shit about cars' compared to what seems to be the average level of knowledge ppl on this forum posses. But even more to the point, Who the **** cares if I say I dont know shit about cars? You dont have to make a deal about it. You could have easily just said 'sorry man I don't know of any good learning resources. btw I think you know more than just 'shit' about cars.' but no! All I was looking for was a simple answer.
"A pulse width to me is the length of time that a fuel injector is electrically stimulated by the PCM on the intake stroke."
I allready know what it is, I was wondering the standard length of a pulse width.
Your deliberately trying to be condescending, man im 15 but you need to grow up.
And just for the hell of it :banghead:.
But Hey, Thanks for Replying :thumbs:. And thanks to anyone who actually did help me.

posted by  Naota

Listen 15 year old......

You need to get off your high horse. I don't listen to dissertations from 15 year olds. Ever heard of say what you mean and mean what you say? Funny how the other people that suggested common places to practice driving all posted that information after your reply to my first posting explaining that is what you were looking for. I'm not stupid and I read the verbage "generic locations" in your original posting. My returned answer is DUH, if you don't know the answers...then you are mentally challenged as I presume you are. Last time I checked it was illegal to operate a motor vehicle on a public road unless the operator of that motor vehicle was licenced to do so. If not, then you're screwed. That would pretty much limit your options to somewhere PRIVATE and NOT public wouldn't it now? DUH!!! READ YOUR POSTING from the start and it's clear it came from someone in your age bracket. Why don't you humor yourself and read several of mine, more specifically the techical postings I have made. Well see who knows more about the arena in which we're in as well as has the verbal and linguistic skills to create online dialect to get the exact point across.

Bottom line is you coming on here looking for generic places to practice driving and you are posing that question to people NO where near where you are, furthermore, YOU should already have enough sense to come up with that for yourself. If you already know the answers (you made suggestions back to me of what you were looking for) then what the hell more do you want? USE YOUR IMAGINATION AS TO WHERE SOMEWHERE MIGHT BE!!!! Forget you fool, when you've got something real for me, come back and see me......til then, place your lips on my rear end and kiss it you dildo. :screwy: :banghead:

posted by  cmeseadoin

I love how you are too F'n dumb to realize most of the people that DID suggest places were mainly screwing with you. Superjew recommended a cemetary because you would not kill anyone, (GET IT???? guess not) then went on to recommend doing so in a LARGE residential neighborhood. Do you REALLY think that would be a good place for a beginner to practice NAOTA???? I guess you do!! You took these as serious suggestions because your too damn stupid to see otherwise.

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message