nissan odometer reads unknown

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  nissan odometer reads unknown

Hey

I was going to buy a used '01 nissan pathfinder, but the odometer reads "9949 UNKNOWN".

Is that common & have any of you seen how much it costs to fix it?
I wonder if something has to be reset in the computer, or what.

posted by  cygnus

ill give you a hint..

http://www.mustangcentral.net/mcforums/images/smilies/flamer.gif

posted by  SuperJew

Common sense tells me to stay away from that one. Either someone has tampered with the mileage/odometer or cluster in someway......something could just be simply broken.....OR there may be a problem in data communications BUS/Data Link between the instrument cluster and the computer. I'd talk to the place selling it and say "What's up with that and what are you going to do about it?" If you don't like the answer, then find another '01 Pathfinder or something else. Do you even know the real mileage of this truck? Do you want an '01 vehicle in your garage that already is screaming problems before you've bought it?

posted by  cmeseadoin

Yeah, that's what I figured.
Thanks guys. Thought I'd throw it out there.

It's a repo from a company that sells them for the banks and not a dealer, so there's no warrantee offered.

I haven't seen it yet except for photos, so was going to drive out next week for a peek. You can't dissasemble the engine there unfortunately.

posted by  cygnus

Is this an auction or fixed price sale? You may be able to make a few bucks, if, you can get it cheap. You do get to inspect and drive it first, don't you? Thrown back to you :wink2:

posted by  lectroid

So they're saying I can place a bid on it.
If I win, I can have a mechanic come with me & check it out. There's no obligation to purchase if there's a problem you don't want to risk.

They don't allow test drives either. Hmmm.... I guess you get what you pay for.

posted by  cygnus

Your Message