98 Grand Cherokee Electrical problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  98 Grand Cherokee Electrical problem

I hope someone out there might recognize these symptoms and know what's wrong with my 1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0L. While driving the headlights will turn off, the radio shuts off, the power windows do not work, the door locks open and close repeatedly. The interior lights turn on and do not shut off for about 5 minutes. The engine continues to run with no problems. This happens randomly regardless of temperature or humidity. It can happen right after starting the car, not necessarily after the car has warmed up.
I have checked and reseated all the fuses and relays in side the car and under the hood. I think it may be possessed!
Any help is appreciated. :banghead:

posted by  conv440

Sounds like a faulty fuse, relay or breaker. Have you checked the PDC to make sure there are no loose connections? Can you wiggle test all the wiring, while running the engine and with all accessories affected turned on, under the dash and under the hood and duplicate the problem? Does this vehicle have an aftermarket alarm system? Look in the manual and see if there are any common electrical components that the power windows, radio, headlights, interior lights and power door locks share. The engine stays running but do you notice any drivability problems? Does the automatic trans work correctly when this happens, etc? Let us know. :smoke:

posted by  cmeseadoin

IMHO
I think your'e right on track :laughing: Go to the EXORCIST thread. :soul: I recognize the symptoms, I think it's called jerking someones chain :laughing: :doh: TOOOOOOOO many circuits, fuses,Hicap fuses and breakers to cause all these problems :banghead: Do you feel any difference in temperature when this happens, any moisture or blood dripping from the windows or headliner? Has anyone witnessed this, other than yourself? :puke:

posted by  lectroid

My Rav4 was possessed but it's much better now. One night the fan turned itself on and nobody's been able to explain it. It happened soon after Captain Howdy started to talk to me through the radio. The windows used to get excessive condensation and I once noticed the words "help me" on the inside of the windshield. I filled up a jerry can with gas, got it blessed, poured it into the gas tank and my Rav4’s been fine ever since. Captain Howdy no longer bothers me with absurd commands like telling me to insert a crucifix in the tail pipe.

posted by  snoopewite

All you needed was an ounce of Holywater in your radiator :wink2:

posted by  lectroid

I'll check into getting some holy water. Meantime I agree that something centrally located in the power circuit could be the problem because so many systems are failing. I've gone under the hood and pulled and reconnected every electrical plug I can see. How do I recognize the PDC? Is it the big box on the right side with the fuse and relays on top? Could the main CPU be the culprit? Where is it located?
Fortunately the drivetrain is unaffected by these electrical shananigans and my wife has been driving the car in this condition for weeks. I don't know how much more patient she will be however.

posted by  conv440

Well I think most of the folks here want to have an exorcism performed, LOL, I love these guys.......keeps my humor tank full for the day.

Honestly speaking, electrical problems can be QUITE interesting and I will not be able to walk you through all the possibilties of what is POTENTIALLY going on here, but I will tell you that the PDC or power distribution center is under the hood and contains fuses and relays that control things such as the accessories that are problematic in this case. You need to make sure that all those fuses are good and that there is nothing loose. Can you duplicate this problem by starting it, letting it sit with all these things turned on and just not drive it? If so, listen for relays clicking under the hood. Have you checked to see if there are any TSB's or recalls for that year GC?

With this being an electrically natured problem of sorts, unless it is possesed, LOL, I am only going to be able to help you but so much online. Electrical gets extremely complicated and I will be first to admit I am not a geneous with electricity. Be very careful with the vehicle's electrical system, you'd hate to short something and melt the whole harness. Been there, seen it and it ain't pretty. You MIGHT have to trust the dealer to take a peak. Good luck.

posted by  cmeseadoin

Well, I will try be a little bit serious. In order for all of these circuits to fail at the same time, they would have to share a common ground, WHICH is very unlikely. If you could get a wiring diagram, would help, if you can read one,would be great. If none apply, your option is to trace all grounds from the PDC/BREAKER/HICAP FUSE PANEL to where they terminate. I'd still try the Holywater,maybe even light a candle, and I'm not even Catholic :ohcrap: Not being sac-religious.

posted by  lectroid

I did check all the fuses although I think it's unlikey that one fuse would affect so many different circuits. The problem happens whether the car is driven or just sitting. It doesn't matter if I leave everything turned on or off when I start it. Sometimes the problem goes away if you just shut off the car and then turn it back on.
I'm not a complete automotive numb-nut (only partial). I worked in a repair shop for 3 years, restored a 67 Mustang, 74 Cuda and a 70 Challenger (still working on that) and recently rebuilt the trans on my 95 540i. But as you said electrical problems on a modern car are nasty. I can tear the PDC apart and look for any obvious signs like burnt wires or connectors.
You may be on to something about the ground. There is a lead that splits from the negative battery terminal with half going to the engine and the other half toward the PDC but it is all wrapped in gobs of electrical wrap and difficult to fully trace without cutting it all apart. I've got the Chilton book but electrical diagrams are only marginally helpful.
I looked at DaimlerChrysler and Alldata for TSBs but I didn't see any titles that looked promising. They charge you to download the full TSB so I thought I'd try posting my problem here first.
I gotta admit that I laughed like crazy when the wife described this problem to me for the first time. Being a sane, rational person I had her committed. A few days later I was driving the Jeep when the mayhem began to happen to me too.

posted by  conv440

Dude,you are going in the right direction, and it's going to be hands on from here on out. Hopefully, you can trace this down, before they release your wife. :laughing: Yes, you will have to remove the gobs of electrical wrap, pocket or exacto knife, sharp side up, :doh: I own a 93 Gr Ck,and if I can catch it home long enough, I'll check the PDC for a better clue to your problem. Hope all this exorcist crap didn't jinx me :evil:

posted by  lectroid

I have a 2000 grand cherokee limited and I had some what the same kind of problem. it turned out to be the door remote module the dealer replaced it and havent had those problems since, Did have one other problem with the headlights turning on and off when ever they felt like it and the dealer thought I was crazy until I showed him a video of it. come to find out that it was a bad headlight switch lol hope this helps some. Jess2333

posted by  jess2333

Wow, talking about thread revival. :soul: This thread is 5 months old and long forgotten. The people who posted in this thread aren't even with this forum any longer. :tard: :read:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Your Message