Dripping sound in 2001 Buick Century

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Dripping sound in 2001 Buick Century

Hi, I have a question about my 2001 Buick Century that i've had for a month. When the car stops after running for a while, there's this noise as if something is dripping, coming from somewhere in the middle. It occurs about once a second and continues for at least a few minutes. This "dripping" probably also goes on while the car is running, I just can't hear it over the engine. There's dripping(if that's what it is) on a metallic surface(metallic clinging sound) and non-metallic surface. Is this something I should be worried about?
I know zilch about cars, this is my first one, so please be gentle.

posted by  michaill

first - how about you check out the "Introduce Yourself" section of the forums. its extremely helpful when trying to get help from the actually resourceful members of the forum.

second - this beloings in repairs and maintenance. i'll move it there.:roll:

posted by  SuperJew

first - done.
second - thanx.

posted by  michaill

Okay, I understand your lack of experience so I'm willing to work with you if you work with me. Is this sound a drip or maybe more of a tick?

posted by  vwhobo

At first I was sure it's a tick, but after listening carefully, I was concerned it could be a drip, and since it sounds a little more scary, I mentioned drip. But it's TWO different sounds, one is a clinging sound and the other is a dull sound. What worries me a little is I don't remember hearing this sound in other cars (or maybe I just didn't pay attention)

I very much appreciate your willingness to work with me.

posted by  michaill

I'm going to work on the assumption that everything is working good and this is the only (perceived) problem. I concur with Lectroid's thoughts and feel it's simply a "cool down tick" which is very common.

It's caused by the expansion/contraction of metal parts during the warming up/cooling down process. Under most circumstances your engine and transmission components will actually heat up for the first 15 or so minutes after shutdown before they start to cool and you might hear the tick for up to 30 minutes. That being said, the hardest thing to diagnose online is a noise for obvious reasons. If you have any other questions, feel free to rattle the cage.

posted by  vwhobo

Thanx

posted by  michaill

Your Message