Need Help With Brakes

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Need Help With Brakes

So about a month ago my brake pedal dropped and felt really mushy. I bleed the brake lines, andjusted the rear brake shoes, adjusted the brake pedal, and everything was fine untill 3 weeks later. The brake pedal dropped again and it feels mushy. The brakes don't kick in untill you push the brake pedal about half way down. I changed the master cylinder on Friday, and today I installed new brake shoes in the rear (pads and rotors were fine) and bleed them again. Please help me as I'm running out of ideas, money, and patience :ohcrap: . Any help is appreciated. Thanx.

posted by  elchango36

Somebody from the gritty streets of Chicago shouldn't have any trouble figuring that out. Just keep throwing parts at it until it works.

posted by  vwhobo

lol hobo
first thing you have to think is
the brake peddle dropped WHY???
not just bleed the brakes
you have a leak or faulty metering valve
was the fluid low after the pedal "dropped"?

posted by  windman

Why are you typing so ingramatically?

posted by  newyorker

ingramatically???
i'll answer after i find the meaning of that word
google doesnt know

posted by  windman

WTF is ingramatically? :screwy:

posted by  97Talonchik

could also be the beers
:thumbs:

posted by  windman

I think he meant "ungrammatically"...would it kill you to type in proper English, with proper punctuation? So much easier on the eyes :wink2:

posted by  chris_knows

i'll make that my new years resolution
just for you
better yet i wont bother breaking up your lil cf click i just i wont post at all

posted by  windman

So...goodbye I guess :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

No leak, the fluid has stayed consistent throughout this whole operation (exluding bleeding of course). I've bled the lines like crazy and still nothing. I heard of a story about how Corvettes that were driven hard developed the same problem back in the late 80's early 90's, the brake pedal would just drop. It had something to do with the rapid change in temp. and to correct the problem the brake calipers had to be changed. Does anyone know of what I'm talking about?

posted by  elchango36

rubber hoses?

posted by  Wally

what about rubber hoses?

posted by  elchango36

If they are getting on a bit they can balloon.

posted by  Wally

easy now... i'm not all that far from there... :hi: :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

when it drops and gets mushy, can you pump it back up (temporarily)? did you check your wheel cylinders for fluid behind the boots?

posted by  dodger65

You can kinda pump it, it feels only slightly better. As for fluid behind boots, ill check that tom.

posted by  elchango36

also, do you use your parking brake a lot? could your p brake arms be sticking when you adjust the rears and then breaking loose after a couple days and squishifying the pedal?

posted by  dodger65

when you changed the master cylinder did you bleed the master before you installed it and bleed the lines at the master cylinder after instal?

posted by  windman

YES I DID :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

You bring up an interesting point. I do use my parking brake a lot. I always park with it as opposed to leaving it in 1st gear. I'll have to take another look at that. Thanx.

posted by  elchango36

Your Message