ABS brakes

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  ABS brakes

'02 Taurus 72,000 ABS brakes. Was going to replace the rear shoes on my Ford but now someone tells me I have to relieve the pressure in the system before I start. I'm familiar with relieving fuel pressure before I do anything in that department. So now this applies to ABS brakes also?
Thanks

posted by  bobsod

why would you have to relieve fuel pressure to change the shoes and pads? i dunno what theyre talking about but they probably meant take the cap off the brake resevoir before putting new shoes in as it will move the piston in the brake cylinder back and push the fluid back down the pipes, if you leave the cap on, there no room for the fluid to move back...

posted by  Mk3golfer

i wouldn't leave the cap off the brake resevoir that exposes the fluid to moisture which will lower the boiling point, plus wheel cylinders don't hold that much fluid so i doubt that you need to remove any fluid

posted by  carlos

it will only absorb moisture if you leave it off for a while... you have to take the cap off to push the pistons back, or they wont go back, drum brakes not so much, but discs yes....

posted by  Mk3golfer

Really? Do ya think? Are ya sure? First off you don't need to remove the reservoir cap to retract caliper pistons. It is the recommended procedure, but not required. If he is in fact doing drums ("replace the rear shoes"), the cap never needs to come off unless he wants to check the fluid level.

Now let's get to the important part. If you want to appear as though you have some knowledge of automotive repair, why didn't you tell him that it ABSOLUTELY the incorrect procedure to retract pistons and reverse fluid flow through an ABS braking system? Why didn't you explain to him that by doing so he might dislodge a foriegn object and get it stuck in the ABS pump or modulator which will turn a quick and simple job into an extremely expensive project? I can answer that for you. Because YOU'RE more interested in having an answer than you are making sure HE gets the correct answer.

posted by  vwhobo

why would someone tell him he had to relieve the pressure in the first place? i was just explaining what they 'could' have meant... so i didnt specify i was suggesting something! stop moaning...

posted by  Mk3golfer

Stop tap dancing. This;

... is not a suggestion, it is a very specific statement. I can see already that you're going to be a dangerous moron. Please cease and desist.

posted by  vwhobo

maybe i'll continue to do it just to piss you off... is your life really that shit you have to come on here and moan all the time? If i do continue at least you will be able to complain about it, and aslong as you're happy, I'm happy :thumbs:

posted by  Mk3golfer

I would be happy if you went and stepped out in front of a fast moving lorry. How about making that happen ass boy.

posted by  vwhobo

original... :clap:

posted by  Mk3golfer

how 'bout a plain old bus? lorries are kinda hard to come by in some areas... :wink2:

EDIT:
never mind, i just noticed his locale.... i'm sure HE could find a lorry...

posted by  dodger65

what does my locale have to do with finding a lorry? this sint sarcastic i really would like to know why?

posted by  Mk3golfer

b/c we don't call them lorries in the states... i'm just joking around...

posted by  dodger65

Because in the US they're not called lorries. If I pointed at a semi and called it an articulated lorry, somebody would probably call the loony bin and have me commited.

posted by  vwhobo

so what do you call them in the states? :screwy:

repeat after me, "red lorry yellow lorry," then repeat it as quickly as possible!!

posted by  Mk3golfer

sure there not doing that allready?

posted by  windman

Your Message