Soft Brake peddel '97 Montana Trans Sport

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Soft Brake peddel '97 Montana Trans Sport

Just bought the van cause I needed a vehical and the price was right, only proboblem is it has a soft brake peddel. I changed the brakes (spent a whole day cause I was learning as I was going) the old brakes had lots of pad left, Drums and roters look to be in exalent condision, no cracks or uneven wear, there is no leaks in the master cyl and doesnt seem to be loosing oil. I realized that once I did the brake although the old ones had lots of pad left, the peddel got a bit stiffer. Was woundering is it normal for this van to have a soft peddel? I'm unsure if I'm just used to driving vehical's with hard brakes like my '87 S15 and the Safari I drive at work.

posted by  mastersypro

This is an english teachers nightmare. I dont understand a thing you said. :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

And even if you did, you'd have no idea of how to help him. Stick with your video game posts, you might be useful in them... And at least you won't be spewing your BS other places.

You don't really give us much info to work with. That being said, TranSports tend to have a fairly soft pedal so as not to scare the soccer moms who drive most of them. If the pedal is low you might want to try adjusting the rear shoes. Otherwise we need more specifics.

posted by  vwhobo

No. The cause for a soft pedal is becasue the rear brake cylinders are either worn out, of leaking. You should bleed the lines and install new cylinders and the problem SHOULD be gone. That happened before on our old 1990 Pontiac 6000. I was only 10 so I dont remember exactly what we did to fix it but it was something along those lines.

posted by  newyorker

You see, there you go again. You take a little bit of information and turn it into a fact. While you could be right, most likely you're not. Think, type, submit.

posted by  vwhobo

But you know the answer so you can tell me if im right or not. It worked for us, and I dont see why it wont work for him. you should just learn to give credit when credit is due. Sometimes a line like "you almost got it" or "yea thats about right" can be pleasent to hear. Instead all I get is "peanut", "twinky", and "shoot yourself". How do you keep your customers I dont understand.

posted by  newyorker

It's very simple. Because I don't bullsh*t my customers, I don't lie to my customers, I don't work for free and most importantly I repair their cars first time everytime. That goes for every single one of my employees as well. I have a less than 2/10ths of one percent comeback rate on my repairs/maintenance/modifications, which is two out of every 1000 transactions. That translates to very happy customers.

How does this happen? We don't jump to conclusions and "fix" their car based on some fairy tale we heard from somebody else. We debrief, diagnose, isolate, repair, verify and quality check. It may not be perfect, but it's damn close.

PS. If you don't want to be told your "advice" is wrong, make sure it's right. That's your responsibility, not mine.

posted by  vwhobo

No one minds being told their wrong, its just if you tell them they're wrong but just laugh at them for it and not tell them why they're wrong, what do you expect? :thumbs:

Just what do you do?

posted by  Mk3golfer

Pretty much anything I want.

posted by  vwhobo

Ask a silly question, get a silly answer... I guess I can stop trying to answer questions I dont really know the answer too! :thumbs:

posted by  Mk3golfer

If you really want to know my resume is pretty well represented on these forums. Suffice it to say I'm a successful businessman who does things his own way.

posted by  vwhobo

I can tell you know what you're talking about when it comes to the technical stuff... I shall try not to disappoint you further! Being vwhobo, im going to assume you like your veedubs? what do you drive? (I'll assume you have more than one car) :thumbs:

posted by  Mk3golfer

The list is long and ever changing. Today I'm driving (drove?) my '00 Dodge Ram 1500 and a '92 Cabriolet. I took a down payment on the Cab today and it'll be gone by the end of the week, so I'll keep driving it at least until the tank is almost empty.

posted by  vwhobo

92 cab? would that be a mk2 golf?

posted by  Mk3golfer

suddenly had a vision?
No. The cause for a soft pedal is becasue the rear brake cylinders are either worn out, of leaking. You should bleed the lines and install new cylinders and the problem SHOULD be gone. That happened before on our old 1990 Pontiac 6000. I was only 10 so I dont remember exactly what we did to fix it but it was something along those lines

there are far more possible causes then that
but we dont have enough info
has the master been changed and not bled properly?
we dont know
niether does he/she it was just bought
and the list goes on and on but i'll stop here im lazy

posted by  windman

Could also be faulty brake lines maybe?

posted by  newyorker

just check everything out.. peel back the cylinder boots and check for fluid, make sure you have a good adjustment on the rears. pump the brake pedal w/ the engine off until you get a consistent height, note the position relative to the gas pedal. take your foot off the brake, count to 30, press again and see if it is lower... then let us know.

posted by  dodger65

Sorry has been a few days scence I was last on, as for newyorker.......SHUT UP!!!! As for my spelling and grammer not being correct I do know that and I'm proud to be stupid, It always brings a challenge when learning new things, as for I never get bord! Also you got mad about vwHoBo dissing you. Well first advice from me, dont fight back as I and everyone else has learnd vwHoBo is the godfather of mechanics on this forum, second read my incorrect grammer carfully. Mutiple times you said leaky cyls/lines, and I had posted that it's not loosing oil. Master cyl looks fairly new but the whole engine looks like show condition. With how many miles it has on it, it runs just as good as the first day off the car lot. I asked some guys at work and they said it's just pratical for that year of vehical having a soft brake and not stopping right away. I know my g/f's '95 taurus had the same problem. but my conclution for that was disks on all 4 as for my van having drums on the back. also the van is heavyer then what i usually drive, but it still has a very soft peddle.

vdub if you got any info could you please let it out, Im thinking of just taking it to the garage and getting it done cause Im sick of working on it. Just changed the battery and that took 3 hours due to having to pull the whole engine capartment apart.(currently changing the location of the radio to where the cd player is located about 6" off the floor, I'm putting in a after market MP3 player but this has nothing to do with my brake problem)

posted by  mastersypro

mine is chev venture van LS 97 used did the same thing until now drove to alberta twice with soft brake pedal and we got home in one piece although front brake can get hot ,i tried bleeding all four wheels starting at the far rare rigth side but didn't help no leaks and even adjusted the rare drums brakes see if theres any change but nothing happens,I kinda agree to you that its very soft if there is any change or improvements on your brakes please post i am sure montanas and venture vans were sisters.thanks hope to hear from you all.

posted by  igorot

...well, i'm still here...:wink2:

posted by  dodger65

Your Message