Weird Idle

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Weird Idle

I have 1992 Geo Tracker. Sometimes my RPM needle will jump from 1200 at idle to 1600 with no noticable change...when I mean jump I mean jump, no smooth up or down, its almost instantaneous. Also why would my car sometimes idle at 1200 but then other times idle at 800? I find this weird. I have tried fuel injector cleaners and nothing. I also doubt it is the spark plugs because I just put iridium plugs in about 5 months ago and have only driven about 6000km on them. When I run on 91 octane with an octane booster the needle doesn't jump...but if I am straight 91 octane it will jump

Anyone got any ideas?

posted by  Golddragoner

1992 geo, Dont expect much from a car going into 14th year. Check your cables, tranny(if you can, most likely only jumps if its changing gear in the automatic), Replacing spark plugs doesnt mean you fixed a spark plug problem- Also check the distributer or again its cables, I dont know too much about geos so if it doesnt help go check with a mechanic or Sell/trade your car would be another option, goodluck :thumbs:

posted by  nightroad

Tranny is a manual not an auto :) can't stand automatic transmission...too boring to drive
I also replaced the distributer cap and all the spark plug wires around the same time as the spark plugs. I'll check the plugs tomorrow if I have time to see if they have a lot of carbon build up or not...could it possibly be that the fuel injector is on it way out though? I think its still the stock one that came with the car(almost 300,000km on it) Head was rebuilt 1 year ago due to the 4th cylinder being dead(common problem) - Exhaust valve become oval and leaves gaps(one was bent too) I can ask one of the mechanics at my work on thurs if they have any ideas.

posted by  Golddragoner

Hope you get your car back to good health :thumbs:

posted by  nightroad

Well he said it could be a loose wire or something so I guess I will have to check it out when I have time

posted by  Golddragoner

I think it has nothing to do with a problem. It was idling at 800 fine when I turned it off. So when I came back I cranked my stereo for a bit to drain the battery down a little. After that it idled at 1600 for a while. By the time I got home since my radio was off the whole way it was back to 800...anyone ever heard of a Alternator causing a high idle?

posted by  Golddragoner

Your Message