More Problems w/ 240SX

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  More Problems w/ 240SX

OK, I'm back again, with a new problem. I got my car fixed from my last problem, and it runs fine. We replaced a bad rotor, distributer cap, gas filter, new oil, gas cleaner, etc..

Now, I was driving around today, and all of the sudden, my car started revving into high RPMs. I was going about 45-50MPH, when I saw it jump from 2000 to 5000 RPMs. It kept doing it to me all the way home. I had Overdrive on, BTW. And turning Overdrive didn't help. It didn't matter if I was at a stop light and it turned green, and I was going 10MPH, it would still do it. I always let off the gas when it would revv like that, because I didn't want to redline it. BTW, incase you don't know my car specs, I have a 1993 Nissan 240SX SE. What could cause this? :confused:

posted by  CypherXero

Some malfunction with the ECU or fueling system. Have it checked by a professional who is actually able to work on the car in person and has the correct diagnostic equipment and therefore can make a quick and correct analysis of the problem and fix it promptly. I would offer more help but the problem really should have the attention of a professional who is able to work on it, we have professionals here (CF) but it is very hard to make a good and precise diagnosis of the problem when not able to work on the car ourselves. :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

The first thing that would be REALLY HANDY to know is if the car has a manual or outomatic transmission. :doh:

posted by  vwhobo

4-cylinder automatic transmission

EDIT: Just checked the transmission fluid, everything looks fine. Odd?

posted by  CypherXero

well guess what!!! if its the samething i know thats wrong with is that when u get on the highway turn on overdrive and when u get off turn it off. its just like downshifting with overdrive on and u driving on little streets can be tough on your tranny. btw my bro has one;) n im gonna get one and after my bro started doing that everything was fine..;)

posted by  zooyorkn6

lol dude it has overdrive its gonna be automatic :screwy: >>>

posted by  zooyorkn6

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but vwhobo doesn't talk here anymore.

And sorry to burst your bubble again, but manual transmission cars also come with overdrive. Have some fun looking in google for one. In fact, here you go:

http://www.google.com.pr/search?q=6+speed+standard+with+overdrive&ie=UTF-8& hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

posted by  Inygknok

hello, i am experiencing the same problem in my 1991 240sx, however i have already checked the ECU and nothing.. just get the 55 = Nothing wrong.. So today i am going to be taking the time to track down the cause of the problem. I btw read earlier post you had about your car, i had that problem also i just replaced fuel pump and my car ran good til now. also some info that might help the rest of you out with this common problem... i have a ka24de 114k miles on the car, everything recently serviced, to help describe the problem a little more into detail as i am experiencing, its much like Zero says, 40-50mph car downshifts to second gear and revs.. ive found releasing the gas pedal and reapplying pressure will help it catch gear, Feels alot like the transmition is slipping, Ive been to several other forums, 1 says adjust AAIF, other says Cam timing.. maybe you folks have something else for me to check on :)

posted by  Dingoboy

Your Message