Car starts but won't move

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Car starts but won't move

Hi I need some advice. My car has been sitting with a dead battery this winter. I replaced the battery today and it started right up with no problem at all. Its a 1992 Buick Century. I noticed i had left the emergency brake on. I released the emergency brake and put the car into Drive. It wouldn't move. I floored it and it jumped about a foot forward. Wouldn't do anything in reverse either.

Is this a parking brake problem? Transmission problem? Other? any idea on cost to get it fixed, rough estimates

thanks for the help

posted by  alemmo

Okay, let me look around. Wait a minute, I'll be right back, let me go look outside. Nope, can't find your car anywhere, IT MUST BE AT YOUR HOUSE.

Now lets take a look at part of your crappy description, "I floored it and it jumped about a foot forward. Wouldn't do anything in reverse either." Well by your own words it did SOMETHING in drive, maybe not what you want it to, but something. Could the brakes be frozen? Probably. Could it be a trans problem? Maybe. Have you given anyone enough information to develop an educated guess? Not really.

Bottom line is if you want help you have to start by helping yourself. The best way to do that is for you to take some responsibility in this process, evaluate your dilemma and give us something to work with.

posted by  vwhobo

sound like it need new motor mounts or trans oil

posted by  AutoPro

jack up the back end and when you notice the rear wheels do not turn you've answered your own question.

posted by  carls47807

Your Message