94 thunderbird stalled

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  94 thunderbird stalled

I have a 94 ford thunderbird that has 194k miles. I was driving on the highway and the engine died. I pulled over to the side of the road and cranked it and it was slow to turn over. I finally got it going and drove it home.

I was wondering if this has happened to any one else and if so, what did they discover was the problem. My guess is fuel pump or fuel filter. Maybe a oxygen modulator?

posted by  Bsanders

No, your car has never died while I was driving it. More to the point, not only have you posted the same thing in two different sections of this forum but you haven't bothered to introduce yourself. Oddly enough there is a section of this forum titled "Introduce Yourself" exactly for that purpose. I suggest you use it first if you want any help.

Or maybe you should just take your car to a shop and pay them to replace the "oxygen modulator". Yeah, that's it. :roll:

posted by  vwhobo

So you recon the "Oxygen modulator" is broken huh? So whats that in english...?

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

I don't have a f*cking clue, and I'm sure the person who originally typed it doesn't either.

posted by  vwhobo

I had the same problem with an old Fiat, but I don't know how to translate the name of the part I changed to repair it. If I translate it literally, it would be something like "caughter of impulses" -captador de impulsos in spanish. I also changed the ignition module -módulo de encendido. If this is the problem, it's easy to repair. Don't worry about that.

posted by  karburator

Good idea. Let's start replacing assorted miscellaneous parts until the car runs again. Troubleshooting at it's finest. :roll:

posted by  vwhobo

well, ok, let's see... In my case was easy to determine because it was a common problem to old Fiats. In any case, I repaired it with used parts and the cost was about $120.

I'm sure you know this kind of breakdown is very hard to determine, but if you have any better idea, just tell us.

Bsanders - I suggest you going to a garage to connect you car to a diagnose machine. Maybe the error has been recorded at the injection module.

posted by  karburator

Yikes man!

If i was to bring out the wheel of diagnosis and give it a spin....

I would guess ignition control module. Ford had lots of problems with these and that would be symptomatic of your problem. But, figuring out if thats the problem is more important than fixing your problem, get it? I have seen more people spend $500.00 to fix a $100.00 problem than i care to mention.

They way you can figure it out is to remove it from your car. There are two 5.5 millimeter bolts in a recessed area that hold it to the distributor. They went to a torx style bolt later on and any good parts store will have a tool for removal. Than pull it straight down as it plugs in on the bottom of the distributor.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?search=true&item_ID=11670&PartNo =YA7200&group_id=1558&store=snapon-store&tool=all
This is the tool

http://www.stcloudchampionauto.com/pdf/45_IgnMod.pdf

this is the tfi module (fig5)

Take it down to the local parts store (autozone has a tester, pep boys or advanced as well) and have them plug it in and test it for failure. Have them check it twice as heat is a factor.

Yes this is a lot of work, but you don't have the diagnosis tools a shop has. You do have time. Am i guessing? Sure. But it will give you a chance to get your hands dirty and give you a shot at fixing the car.

posted by  hitchhiker

Your Message