Cheap car to Supe up? (make fast)

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Cheap car to Supe up? (make fast)

1st of all, id like to know ya'll's idea on the best car to supe up,
2nd, im getting a new car and would rather get an average car and supe it up, so... what would be a reasonable price car that can really be suped up
3rd are there any terribly slow cars that with work can be really fast? ya know win a few bets here and there with them not knowing whats under the hood.

what i want to do is put alot of work into over time, spending little bits every now and then to eventually make it really fast, so a fast 0-60 and a quick 1/4.

would like the car to be under 5k and the mods to be reasonably cheap.

thanks

posted by  JenksBaseball

You sound like the next Dr. Rice

posted by  newyorker

a Toyota Tercel:thumbs: :laughing:

posted by  elchango36

im saying a honda civic hb hmm 93 most parts.. and car is pretty cheap..

posted by  dep_trai

Gotta have stickers too right

posted by  newyorker

Naw, get a Neon, and throw some SRT3.5 badges on it:laughing: .

posted by  elchango36

:umh: srt4's arent 3.5's are they?, or did you mean something else?

i think there 2 or 2.4 or something

posted by  nighthawk

lol, it was a joke. A Neon that was "modded" but wasn't exactly an SRT4, but almost one. Therefore and SRT3 and a half. *thinks to himself "I should have said SRT2"*

posted by  elchango36

ok yeah definately not a ricer, not planning on putting huge skirts, giant wing, or gay decals... just want a car to work on, something to do with my time, and a fast car. forgive me if im giving us white people a terrible name. apparently we arent allowd to have fast cars.

posted by  JenksBaseball

How could you say that?

He wants to make the car fast ... never mentioned ricey type aesthetic mods.

I'd say he's probably less of a ricer than you are.

posted by  windsonian

Supe? That kinda gave it away to me. :screwy:
And the fact that he wants to street race it for money.....wow not only is that dumb, its "Fast and the Furious" dumb. Someone has seen way too many movies

posted by  newyorker

Thats an insult to my name...how could you? :doh:

posted by  newyorker

what, that's a ricer only word now is it? I say :screwy: to you.

posted by  windsonian

Can you show me where it says he's going to street race the car? I can't seem to find that anywhere. Or is this another case of putting words in other peoples mouths to help support your opinion?

posted by  vwhobo

we are a little off topic fellas. he can call me a ricer if it makes him feel better about himself. i dont mind

posted by  JenksBaseball

It doesnt make me feel better, but im just pointing it out. What EXACTLY do you plan to do with the car?

posted by  newyorker

Ive pointed it out. If you are too dense to see it, then dont bother.

posted by  newyorker

You know your really making yourself a good name being like this. :ticking:

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

Not sure if I will get flamed for this but its just my opinion.

I bought a 1999 Grand am GT (2 Door) and it comes with a stock V6 175 HP and 205 lbs Torque. For stock its fast car and there are a TON of mods for this car that are somewhat cheap. There are Specific Exhaust Kits, Air intake Kits and Super charger Kits made for this car. www.doctorspeed.com is one place you can take a look.

The only problems with this car I have had are the Altenator and power steering pump. Alot of people have problems with the head gasket but I have yet to expirence this *knocks on wood*

Other then that it gets pretty good gas mileage as well. I live out of the city and get between 33-35 MPG

posted by  Erdrickk

Headgasket goes bad on the 2.4 Liter version more than the others.

posted by  newyorker

I should just note the version of the 99 Grandam GT I got was more $$ Than your budget. It came with every single option under the sun from Leather Power heated seats to the sunroof. It also had Extremly Low Km's, New Alloy Wheels Etc... it was about $11,000 Canadian. I have seen cheaper versions with less options that could better fit your budget and still give the same Kick

posted by  Erdrickk

You call that fast...I see someone hasn't been in too many fast cars. Sure for stock its a little on the fast side, but there are tons of cars out there that can smoke it at around the same price too...a damn 2000 Civic could probably beat it.

Anyway if ya want, Civics are generally the cheapest cars to get mods and parts for due to the fact that they are so common. Easy to get goin fast too because of their low weight. For around $6000-$7000 you can get a damn fast '91 CRX...just completely mod out the engine (eagle rods, forged pistons and a complete head job <--- all of that should be around $3500...then add in a good turbo and you are set to go. I have personally seen a CRX with about $8000 worth of engine mods pull 11.6s on the quarter mile with a stock exhaust and intake (minus the turbo)

posted by  Golddragoner

how about a 90-94 talon, eclipse, laser. 2.0 DOHC AWD turbo. there is a lot of aftermarket support and you could probably own one for less than $3k.

posted by  glagon1979

Why not a Monte Carlo similar to the one in your sig pic. They're still readily available for relatively cheap and will swallow a squeezed SBC/TH350/8.5-10 bolt combo. This is something that with a little effort and some smart shopping could get even a beginner into the low teens for less than the cost of a used Taurus. :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

the one in my sig is the closest i could come to what mine looks like. i need to get a digital camera and take some pics. i bought my car for $1500 and i've got about $3k into my engine (350 .060 over. vortec heads, ported, polished, and port matched.) and tranny(th375, built by turbo mike, the best tranny guy in the area).

posted by  glagon1979

My pontiac grand am 3.4 has a after market supercharger for 2500 for supercharger an 6000 for the car and i am running 12.8 sec at the strip faster than a slow civic

jdad   18 Mar 2012 22:42

ive seen twin turbo 300zx's go for like 3,000 on craigslist, they're fast stock pushing about 300hp, a new exhaust and cool air intake which are very cheap you'll have a pretty fast car for under 5,000 easy, but if you want a really fast car i would go with a lexus is300 and drop a 2jz motor in it, which is the same motor in a twin turbo toyota supra, get the biggest cool air intake you can and a new exhaust system and you have yourself a car puting out almost 500hp, of course its going to run you a lot more money closer to 10,000. the main thing to making any car fast is getting the air and gas in and out the fastest. turbo's, exhaust kits and intakes, and different bigger fuel injectors depending on the car can help a lot

the mechanic   20 Mar 2012 09:43

Your Message