Dodge Electric Choke Control

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Dodge Electric Choke Control

Does anyone know where I can buy an electric choke control for our 1987 Doge B350 5.9 ci van? Someone removed it and ran the wire directly to the choke housing and it opens way too fast causing stalling and very poor cold driveability. I can't find one anywhere. :banghead:

posted by  no-logic

Not off the top off my head, but I do know that all new members should go to the "Introduce Yourself" section and use it. They have a better chance of getting help that way because they're not labeled as rude.

posted by  vwhobo

Sorry...I'll do that.

posted by  no-logic

Okay, time to help the Air Force Reserve because they can't help themselves. :mrgreen: Keep your pants on it's a joke, I'm a retired SMSgt.

Unfortunately I've been in your position before and was unable to find the part in the aftermarket or the dealer. The dealer(s) told me they don't deal with anything involving carburetors anymore. Fortunately I was able to find good ones in the local junkyards.

So, first let me give you the official terminolgy, it's called a "dual stage choke control switch". That's right out of the book. Now let me give you a place where you might have more luck in your search. http://www.allpar.com/

Finally a tip that I came up with after going through your dilemma. The only Dodges that use that switch are equipped from the factory with Rochester Quadrajunks. I have successfully used a choke element off of your garden variety Chevy, which doesn't require the dual stage switch, and it works great. Your results may vary, but I have one '80's Dodge truck set up that way and two others I did for customers. Hope this helps.

posted by  vwhobo

Very cool. So the Chevy element uses the full 12V signal to open at a normal cold start rate and doesn't require the control switch?

posted by  no-logic

To the very best of my knowledge, yes. I couldn't find anything to tell me any different and it works excellent.

posted by  vwhobo

Oh man! This is great! I put a manual choke on this beast and, of course, most of these young hot shot reservists that use this van don't even know what a carburator is, much less a manual choke. Can you give me an application on the Chevy choke element that I can give to our local Napa store so I don't confuse them too? I am forever in your debt. :clap:

posted by  no-logic

I won't lie and tell you I remember exactly what the app was. When in doubt I normally use the good old '80 Chevy pick-up with a 350. I think pretty much any GM with a Quadrajunk and an electric choke will work. Time to get out the old IMPAC card.

posted by  vwhobo

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

posted by  no-logic

Just wanted to let you all know that I found this choke control that I was looking for. A place called Franklin Sussex Auto Mall in Sussex, NJ. (parts@fsautomall.com) They contacted me after doing a World Parts Search from a website that I stumbled across. Had it in a week. They said that they have a good stock of older Dodge/Chrysler parts if anyone is interested. Thanks for the help on this one gents. :thumbs:

posted by  no-logic

Your Message