1999 chevy lumina 3100 engine questions

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1999 chevy lumina 3100 engine questions

Hi.I was wondering if the motor in my car has a timing chain or belt?I think its a chain like my 1991 3.1 motor.The 1999 lumina 3100 motor isn't running right.There is no power,a ticking noise in motor and no check engine light comes on.Is it possible for the timing chain to jump?If so could the valves kiss the pistons?I know they do in the 3.1's.
I've only had this car for 1 month.The guy I bought it from said he replaced the motor which had 68,000 miles on it.

posted by  higher1

I have an older version of the 3100 in my 96 Pontiac. I believe they have belts rather than chains. I've never heard of a chain or belt for that matter jumping the sprockets (chain) or pulleys (Belt) but I suppose it is possible. Not likely, but possible. More than likely though, your car won't start or run with the jumped timing chain/belt. The only way that's possible is if the valves (exhaust and intake) were both open very slightly just enough to allow the gas/air mix into the cylinder, get compression, explode to make power, and then go through the exhaust. However with both valves open which is next to impossible anyways, you wouldn't get enough compression to finish the stroke. I would check your injectors seeing as if one's clogged, your not getting gas into that cylinder. The car will still run, but it'll have a power loss and it'll run rougher.

posted by  Satty101

Gee Satty, you're all grown up now lol.....I remember when you used to stay out of this section hehe

posted by  Cliffy

lol, that's before I got a job as a mechanic.:thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

So is it like an apprenticeship you're doing?

posted by  Cliffy

Kinda. I lost my grocery store job, so I got a job as a gas pumper at a full service station around here, then worked in the shop and pumped gas for a while, and now full mechanic. Just kinda a luck of the draw type of a thing. Anyways, lets get back on topic. PMs Cliffy, PMs.:wink2:

posted by  Satty101

lol....erm, yeah..okay :wink2:

*nudges Satty, prompting him that he should look at some of the post whore fan club in action.....*

posted by  Cliffy

I called a chevy dealer today and it has a chain.It is not missing.A faulty injector would cause a misfire and the check engine light would come on.I've been a diesel tech for 12 years and have worked on autos.I hooked up my reader and there are no codes.This problem is totally mechanical.A guy at work today told me the 3100's have a problem with the cams breaking.
I'm going to rip the motor down or get a different one.Maybe both.

posted by  higher1

Your Message