Nonworking stereo.

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Nonworking stereo.

I bought a 94 Saturn SC2 recently and the radio doesnt work in the car. There is an aftermarket cd changer in the back so I know the radio worked before. I problem is there is no power at all to the radio and because of this I cant tell if the cd changer also works. Can someone help me? I dont know what other information I can give, but if you ask, I can tell you what I know. I appreciate any help.

thanks,

Al

posted by  oxidizer2k

hey al,

Perhaps i missing something. You said the radio doesn't have any power.
It has to get power from somewhere, so replacing a fuse would be the obvious answer. Is it an aftermarket radio?

Sometimes aftermarket will have an inline fuse as well as one in the fuse box.

posted by  hitchhiker

Thanks hitch for the reply. To tell you the truth, I know a lot about cars. But when it comes to the stereo.. I know nothing. It seems as if the radio gets/has no power what so ever. The clock on it does not come on at all. There is a cd changer in the back.. an older model. The cd changer is controlled by a corded remote that also has no power. I was told by a friend that the cd changer is powered by the radio. If the radio has no power, the cd changer doesnt work, so I cant tell if it works. I tried opening it up and looking through all the wires... It looked like a mess inside and I could tell it was one of those "do it your self" projects. I am pasting some pics.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/334000-334999/334279_32_fu ll.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/334000-334999/334279_33_f ull.jpg

posted by  oxidizer2k

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/334000-334999/334279_34_fu ll.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/334000-334999/334279_35_fu ll.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/334000-334999/334279_36_fu ll.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/334000-334999/334279_37_fu ll.jpg

posted by  oxidizer2k

where can i buy fuses (if it is the fuse)

posted by  oxidizer2k

posted by  oxidizer2k

Any motoring shop should sell fuses...if it's a certain type of fuse you will be best of getting it through an electrical retailer, anyway, I thought you knew alot about cars?, fuses are the easiest items to find!

posted by  Cliffy

I have a strong suspicion about this individual because first he says;

That always makes me sit up and listen. Then he comes up with a jewel like this:

Let's be honest, wouldn't someone who knows alot about cars know where to buy fuses? On top of that we find out;

Anyone who knows about cars knows it would take less time to check for power with a test light than it does to type a post. My instinct says this post is going to go nowhere, but y'all have fun anyway.

posted by  vwhobo

I did wonder vw, I looked long and hard at those pics to see if there was some really strange fuse pictured somewhere that nobody has ever seen before...I could not find one :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

:doh: :screwy: :laughing: NUF SAID

posted by  lectroid

I know in terms of performance... quality... reliablity.. pricing.. andsome engine details... stuff like that.. but no clue about the electrical things... as for the fuses, i didnt know if id have to go to saturn or autozone...

posted by  oxidizer2k

Like i said, I know a lot.. but only to a certain extent. Besides, I just got this car three days ago (saturn). I didnt know I I would need a special fuse for the radio. And your suposed to help be, not flame...

posted by  oxidizer2k

Okay, that makes perfect sense to me. You know alot but only to a certain extent. :banghead:

I'm SUPPOSED to help you. Funny, I don't remember reading that in the users agreement. Why am I SUPPOSED to help you,what have you ever done for me or to contribute to this forum?

posted by  vwhobo

Yeah, because I asked if anyone knows... if you dont know.. then dont help. Dont be rude. I just joined this forum, so havent done anything yet. And just because your man broke up with you, you dont need to be angry all the time. :fu:

posted by  oxidizer2k

Your attempt to be nasty to me does not cover for the fact that you are obviously an idiot. You are the one who claims to "know alot about cars" then displays the knowledge of my grandmother. Perhaps if you weren't guilty of false advertising and were honest with the people you expect help from, you could become a productive member of this onlne community. Until such time you will simply be considered cyber trash.

By the way, I don't share your sexual inclination. Perhaps if you were more concerned with your car instead of your homosexual fantasies, you would get it repaired quicker.

posted by  vwhobo

My, my oxidizer2k, that new avatar hurts me more than you'll ever know. How shall I sleep tonight. :roll: You are an insignificant douche bag.

posted by  vwhobo

Well damn, think about it, what the hell is a forum for... People learn, and get help... they dont act like bastards like you have dont since my first post here. I may be an idiot... but im not a bitch like you. I see you know a lot about cars looking from you sig pick... so if everyone doesnt know as much as you, they all must be idiots. Good one. And wtf do you mean false advertising? I aint selling shit... And only thing i will be gaining is knowledge.. I just joined, how the **** am i supposes to be productive.. I have a life like many of the people here.. and if Im calling you the homo, im not having fantasies about you... get over yourself...
:screwy:

posted by  oxidizer2k

Truth can be painful. And youll probably end up sleeping alone with your hands in your pants like always.

posted by  oxidizer2k

hmmm.. shower orgy... :drool:
:orglaugh:

posted by  Unfedfat

Temper temper sweetie. If you're not careful you'll cough up sperm and get it all over your new dress.

Let's go over this again quickly for those of you who are stupid. You are the one who anounced that you know alot about cars, not me. You are the one that by your own words has shown that you know very little about cars. I have never ever said people who don't know as much as I do are idiots if they want to learn. What I am saying is you are an idiot because instead of simply introducing yourself, saying you don't know much but want to learn and going from there, you advertised yourself as someone with substantial knowledge. There you have it, you're not only an idiot but a liar as well.

posted by  vwhobo

Ok, whatever... Just go back to your POS work tommorrow, get your POS 5 dollar paycheck... And go buy yourself another one of your POS old ass Vws from the junk yard. Because youve been a bitch to me from my first post... and Youll be a bitch to anyone who may say something that you get a "strong suspicion" about and then you are gonna say shit. You asked me if I contributed anything to this forum.. or to you.. well if you maybe helped me instead of talking one thing I said and making it sound like something else, I could help the next guy who comes... yet you didnt help me... because it doesnt say that your supposed to help anyone... so why then should I contribute... no one else gave me the same BS attitude here... only you. So how about you put me on ignore, and I put you on ignore, and you go away so I can get some help.... because, to make you feel better, i know only some things about cars.

posted by  oxidizer2k

Wow, that was hard to say wasn't it. 200 words to boil it down to the last sentence. Thank you for once again showing your stupidity by incorrectly determining my financial status and my lifestyle. Are you Miss Cloe the mindreader or do you just dress like her?

posted by  vwhobo

Im Miss Cloe. Now go away.

posted by  oxidizer2k

179 words...and half of those weren't words :2cents: :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Hmmm. I seem to remember that you were going to ignore me so it really doesn't matter what I post about you. You've also proven that while you have the right to remain silent, you don't have the ability. Have a nice day.

posted by  vwhobo

Not bad for a guess, eh mate. :read:

posted by  vwhobo

Not bad at all.............for an inbreed...

And hey, I false advertised... I am not going to ignore you..... I like looking at the picture of your goofy looking vw.

posted by  oxidizer2k

lol...I just wanted to see if you actually took the time to count them, I probably miscounted myself...would you call 'POS' a word at all, or three words? lol :thumbs: :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

damn, I really like that shot of you sig... nice.

posted by  oxidizer2k

Wow, that's a great comeback, and now we've learned that you spend your evenings thinking about incestuous homosexuals. Who writes your lines?

Thanks, I like looking at it too.

posted by  vwhobo

man, all the forums Ive been to, all the moderators have been nice, knowledgable and good people to talk to... what is wrong with you? Why the hell did you take such a small thing and make it so big.. so what if i said I know a lot about cars and my meaning of a lot is not up to your standards?

posted by  oxidizer2k

Thanx..Rule Britannia 'n all that :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Is that your car? The pic looks very professional... and It looks hot...Whats the stats on those? And how easy is it to mod them up?

posted by  oxidizer2k

No it aint my car, I wish it was though, the stats, though I'm not certain are as follows (notice the many 'appoximates' in there lol)

Engine - 2.2 litre 4 cylinder inline, Mid mounted. Vauxhall also use the 2.0litre turbo now, but these stats are for the NA variant!

Transmission - 5 speed manual RWD

Performance - 0-62 (in the UK we use 0-62 because its easier to convert to kph for though in europe) 4.5secs approx

Top speed - 150mph approx, and the Turbo's quicker!

That's all I know with regard to the spec, and I'm not too sure about the simplicity of modding them!

Sorry for the irrelence in this post guys!

posted by  Cliffy

4.5 secs 0-62 is awsome for a small car like that... I heard they were supposed to come out witha diesel version of that car... with more power. I think I read its coming to the US as a Pontiac.. do you know if they have an awd?

posted by  oxidizer2k

OXI
I'm afraid you are going to have to back up and start all over again. There is help on this forum, and just the type you need. But I think your'e going to have to eat some crow :wink2:

posted by  lectroid

Haha, thanks man.. I guess it started off on the wrong foot and looking back I shouldnt have said anything to VW.. It just felt like he was trying to piss me off.

Here it is again. I know a lot about cars compared to people who dont....lol. I recently purchased a 1994 Saturn SC2 to go to school and back so I wouldnt have to take the more expensive cars and risk getting door dings and being hit. I test drove the car and it ran very well. I was talking to the dealership and about the cars history and unfortunatly forgot to turn on the radio or the cd changer. I feel stupid because I should have noticed the clock not working. It was cold so I didnt check the air conditioner either... ( it doesnt work either). So i drive it back home (2 hr drive) and I try turning on the radio and it doesnt work. Maybe they disconnected it, or its a loose wire. I took the cheap dash apart and I noticed all the wires were connected except one green one.. but I have no clue what thats for. So I found this forum and I read some posts (some of Vws too) and everyone seemed to know what they are talking about. I took some pics and posted them to see if people thought if the wires were bad or if it was just the one wire that was loose was the problem.. Someone had said that it was a fuse and I didnt really know if there was a special one Id have to get from the dealer or if it could easily be found at Autozone or Advanced auto part. In one of my post I wrote that I know a lot about cars (ofcoarse everything is relative to each person) and VW just pounces on me saying im suspicious and a liar and etc. I just need some help.. and dont want to be flamed for my wording... But I appreciate you atleast being respectful and telling me I might have to eat some crow. :wink2:

posted by  oxidizer2k

oh, and the pics are a few pages back.

posted by  oxidizer2k

Well..I'm not an electrics person myself, however, I do know that most car stereos have blade fuses in the back of them (or at least aftermarket ones do anyway)..I'd check this fuse first by looking through the top of it to see if the filement is broken, that's all I can suggest I'm afraid!

as for the VX220 (not too sure if it'll be called that though), there is a diesel version, but it's currently only a prototype, it is expected to do 160mph and 0-62 in only 8 secs...which is good for a petrol car, let olone a diesel. Vauxhall also planned on bringing out the VX lightening which was set to be the next VX220 but for some reason arn't going to now, they are however planning on releasing the VW320 with a 2.2litre engine and around 320bhp...a monster in other words..oh and I have no idea as par the release plans for the US version!

posted by  Cliffy

You know what, if its just a stress to people to figure out whats wrong with my POS car and its components, Ill just buy another stereo.. I just didnt want to spend money on a car im not going to keep for long... and if the radio can be fixed for less than 5 bucks, why spend 100? thanks for your suggestions..its not like ill fuk it up.. so you could have told me anything... :)

posted by  oxidizer2k

No probs, as I said, I'm not an electrics person and like you, only know about the basics of electrics so I wouldn't like to tell you anything you might regret!

posted by  Cliffy

The pics you posted show two fuse holders. These are not or should not be the fuses to the power supply for your radio,those are glass buss type fuses, one should be for the cd changer and don't have a clue what the other one is for. Look at your fuse panel and check for the radio fuse(it will be very obvious)15-25amp fuse (you don't have any special fuses) If you don't know how to or a way to test these fuses, replace them all. By the way, did you unplug the amphenol(black& blue plug) from the back of the head unit? Say you did.

And I think you owe the HOBO an UUT-OH :laughing:

posted by  lectroid

lol, yes, I unpluged everything... Ahh.. just one thing.. the first night I got the car I opened her up and noticed that there was a green wire that seemed to be soldered into the radio... and... uh... I didnt see it when I took it out the second time... what do you think it was? Hope it was nothing. And Ill def try the fuse. thanks all for the help.

posted by  oxidizer2k

More than likely a speaker wire,not sure ?? Or could you tell if it was attached to the radio housing(could be a ground). By the way, that was not a second-hand wiring job, just aftermarket.

posted by  lectroid

The wire went through a hole and inside the radio.. I think I might have tore it off trying to put the radio back in... It doesnt matter because it didnt work in the first place... And im not going to waste you time anymore... I thank you for the help... I decide it would be easier to buy a new one and get it installed. :)

posted by  oxidizer2k

:doh:

posted by  lectroid

lol. Sorry bro, I really appreciate the help I got. If you really want me to, Ill try to fix the old one.... because im that nice.

posted by  oxidizer2k

Looks like my point is now proven. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

thanks for the help though... sorry for the insults.
:wink2:

posted by  oxidizer2k

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

posted by  lectroid

Your Message