1995 Grand Am, Quad 4, 2.3

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1995 Grand Am, Quad 4, 2.3

We have a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM. It started acting up about 2 weeks ago. Total loss of power. I talked to my brother (who worked as a mechanic for several years). He came and looked at the car. He found that #1 cylinder wasnt getting fire. His first suggestion was to replace the ingination coil. We did that with no diffenence. He had disconnected the injector, no difference. We switched the spark plug boots, again no difference. He then suggested that we get some injector cleaner. Did that, no difference. But the car did run. Just very rough because it was only running on 3 cylinders. The other day, the car just stopped. Quit!! Again my brother came and looked at the car. He is stumped. We have replaced the fuel filter, camshaft sensor, spark plugs. We have checked before the car quit running the compression and it was fine. Its getting fuel, gettig fire except at #1 cylinder but will not run. Turns over fine. Tries to start but wont. Also when we have this last trouble, before it stopped running, it did backfire. And while trying to get it to start, it has backfired too. Any suggestions??????

Thanks

Tom

posted by  motsey000

Exactly which trouble codes did you get when retrieving them? I am interested since they will give a starting point on how to troubleshoot.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message