Crankcase Position Sensor

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Crankcase Position Sensor

I have a 1988 Cutlass Supreme SL. I have been having some problems with the engine stopping while driving as well as not starting after it has been driven. Happens when engine is hot or cold, or when temp outside is hot or cold. It is infrequent. Can go a mnth with no probs and then it happens. Have replaced fuel pump/filter 3x in less then a year (warranty). :hi: My question is Does or will the crankcase sensor produce the same symptoms or is there something else I should look at? Sorry if this is too vague.

posted by  Scottydogbc

1. Yes, your decsription is rather vague. There are several possibilities as to what might cause this dilemma so a more detailed explanation is in order. Also you need to retrieve DTC's (if any) from the ECM and include those.

2. Fuel pump replacement three times in one year. I don't know who is giving you advice or doing your work but that seems just a bit excessive. It sounds to me like maybe we're just throwing parts at the car instead of diagnosing the problem.

3. I am completely unaware of a "crackcase sensor". Must be used to make sure the engine hasn't fallen out. Now the crankshaft position sensor may cause there syptoms, but it would almost certainly set codes and be duplicatable.

Summary; We need codes and a more detailed description including weather (dampness).

posted by  vwhobo

Right,my bad, crankcase LOL . We picked up this car last summer and the fuel pump had just been replaced. Wouldn't of even taken it back other then the possibility of warranty coverage. But. now my wife broke down 6hrs from our home in Banff. They ran a diagnostic test with no results.They tested the fuel pump and stated it wasn't flowing pproperly,chaned the filter also. Paid the $800 bill and drove 3hrs to Cranbrook, stopped to phone because the cell phon died. Got back in the car and it wouldn't start. As I stated before it would not start ,but if we left for 5,10, 30mins it would fire up and be fine for a while,not this time. You did state the if in fact it is the crankshaft sensor it would show up on Diagnostic. Now I am at a loss, don't even know where to begin. Hope you can help. :thumbs:

posted by  Scottydogbc

I just finished typing this for someone else. Lucky for both of us the info is exactly the same for both cars.

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2132

posted by  vwhobo

As I said diagnostics were performed and I also own my own code reader nothing ever showed up. The trouble seems so intermittent, I wonder if it is a short,but at the time of trouble you would think it would show up on the code reader. PLugs ,oil changes,filters PVC valve all done recently. Also injector cleaner and fuel anti freeze.Sorry to be a pain in the ass, just not sure where to look without the damn codes.

posted by  Scottydogbc

And of course you have to be aware that it's extremely difficult to chase an intermittent in person, 100 times harder online. As I stated before there are a bunch of things that could cause this. It might just be time to take the car to a QUALIFIED tech and let them handle it.

posted by  vwhobo

I thought I had been taking it to a qualified tech.Anyways thanks for trying have a good day.

posted by  Scottydogbc

Your Message