96 Taurus won't Warm Re-Start

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  96 Taurus won't Warm Re-Start

Hi!

I'm new to Car Forums, and probably like most folks, I only found it when I was looking for help with a problem.

My 96 Taurus has this pain-in-the-butt starting problem:

Starts fine cold.
After driving for 15 minutes or so, and turning engine off, car won't re-start.
Everything electrical is powering on, but the engine won't crank.
After a few hours, when it cools, the car will finally start again.
The problem only occurs in spring/summer/fall. In winter, no problem.
The Fuel Pump seems to work fine.
The battery is new.

Is there anyone with a similar problem out there? Any tips? Ideas? I've had a devil of a time trying to figure out if it's an electrical problem or if there is something wrong with the starter.

Any advice would be helpful!

posted by  benbob

Hi Benbob...good of you to say hi the first time...on the next entrance to a forum, look for the appropriate greeting section. Here it is called Introduce Yourself. :thumbs: :laughing:

posted by  BavarianWheels

Hey, thanks for the tip. I just posted a little greeting over in the intros.

Thanks for the help.

posted by  benbob

I found this answer for a '95 T-bird with the same problem on a google search...it may help you...I don't know.

Check the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor. If it is measuring cold all the
time it would make the engine run rich. Just remember that there are 2 temp
sensors on the motor. There is one for the temp gauge and a separate one for
the PCM. The one for the PCM is a 2 wire unit while the temp gauge is
usually a single wire. So look for the 2 wire sensor.

That reminds me an anecdote. Have a look at this: vanilla ice-cream (http://www.plant-maintenance.com/articles/pontiac.shtml)

This happened in a Pontiac and you own a Ford, but...

posted by  karburator

Sweet!

Bav, I thought you only did diagnostics for chicks. :mrgreen:

posted by  vwhobo

I try and find answers for all...I'm just a bit slow. I happened to find this one quite a bit faster. How does it sound to you?

For chicks?...well...my ignorance is less likely to be caught for the vast majority... :wink2:

I don't think it applies. As it says, if the PCM thought it was cold it would run rich ALL the time, not just on start-up.

More importantly, his description says the car won't crank. That pretty much narrows it down to the starting system doesn't it? Unless we have an inaccurate description. I'm just sorta waiting to see.

posted by  vwhobo

Which is why I try not to delve too much into diagnosis of problems...

Hi again all, Right one the money, the car doesn't run rich all the time, so I doubt the PCM is the cause. But here's something more to throw you off:

if I have run the car for a while, made it a bit hot, then try to restart the engine... I turn the key all the way, nothing happens. But if I turn the key and hold it all the way, sometimes for up to 4 or 5 minutes, it will eventually leap into action and crank for a few moments, sometimes enough to start. The time for this delay is very consistant. It never starts right away, and always takes some time. If I run the engine until its too hot, it will never crank, regardless of the time I hold the key. Strange, or what?

The other problem I've recently noted is that the fuel needs to be primed before starting the car the first time. I turn the key a few times and hear the fuel pump whirring, and then start the engine (cold). If I don't do this, it takes 2 or so tries to start. I think this is a leaking valve somewhere, and I think (but I'm not sure) it's a separate problem.

Yikes, this car is falling apart!

PS - Anyone want to buy a '96 Taurus? Incredible deal, runs great. :-)

posted by  benbob

Sorry my find was not your fix. I only posted because the symptoms were the same. Good luck.

A couple of suggestions. Get the trouble codes from the OBD2 computer system with a scanner or reader

Sometimes starters can cause this to happen

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Hi. My name is Techknow. This is my first meeting er... Post. Sorry forgot myself for a moment... Enough about me...

I have the exact same problem. Exactly. Moreover I have a '94 Nissan Quest and I happen to know Ford did the Electrical and Electronics on the Quests... Hmmm

I have dumped $1,500 into this problem. Nobody knows...I take it in and they find something else completely different wrong with it... (Of course it needs immediate attention... Hence the 1,500)

I have replaced the Ignition Lock.

I have replaced the battery...

The other day it started running really rough. Like it was running out of gas... I suspect the electric though. It was sputtering and spluttering... I drove it to the mechanic and it ran beautifully. It has done this intermittantly. Every so often it happens and it is like the car is just going to stall out... :banghead: Of course my mechanic is beginning to think I am nuts :screwy:

Tonight it did it again. I turn it over and nothing. It clicks almost inaudibly once when the key is turned. BUT the lights are fine (they don't dim) all the electronics work... The seatbelts go into place etc...

It has been stranding my family on hot days.

I am quickly running out of money to fix the thing. I am extremely frustrated. I am considering attaching a sail to the damn thing and harnessing the wind...

posted by  Techknow

My Mechanic just called. They said they were able to reproduce the problem. They said that the starting problem was caused by a faulty starter.

The lurching and sputtering issue is being caused by a faulty fuel pump.

Grand total: $900.00 :doh: :cussing:

Does anyone need a website? I have a special this month... $900.00 for a complete website... :hi:

*Sigh*.

posted by  Techknow

My Mechanic just called. They said they were able to reproduce the problem. They said that the starting problem was caused by a faulty starter.

The lurching and sputtering issue is being caused by a faulty fuel pump.

Grand total: $900.00 :doh: :cussing:

Does anyone need a website? I have a special this month... $900.00 for a complete website... :hi:

*Sigh*.

posted by  Techknow

Your Message