'91 Toyota Celica GT-S in dire need of help

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  '91 Toyota Celica GT-S in dire need of help

Greetings thanks for helping , I am the proud owner of a "lemon" and live in Cali ( smog tests woohoo) . My question is how hard and where do I go to find info on a cylinder head swap for my car ( '91 Toyota Celica GT-S) . I have taken it to a mechanic and he said a valve job would cost $1300+ , I would really like to strip the head off the engine and take it to a machinist but I cannot find any info on the best way or maybe they are trying to squeeze me for cash , I dunno . The car burns serious oil and therefore it won't pass an emissions test , basically any info you can give would help me a ton . Thanks again . Oh yeah the technician said one of my valve guides or valves I cannot remember was all screwed up .

posted by  surfinsparadise

There is a fairly obvious answer to the question you're asking. Go to any decent car parts store and purchase a manual for your car for around $15-$20. Either one will tell you everything you need to know. How's this for superior service. Haynes part number 92020. Chilton part number 68252. You might even find it at the library.

I'm gonna make an honest observation here that will probably piss you off. If you couldn't figure that out, I'm not so sure you'll be able to figure out how to do the job even with the manual. Good luck.

posted by  vwhobo

:laughing: :thumbs: emoticons are so much easier than typing :clap:

posted by  lectroid

This is an addition to before sorry I was so vague . I totally rebuilt a '76 Ford Explorer ( when they were trucks ) . You didn't piss me off man ,I can take criticism . I already bought the chilton's , replaced the harmonic balancer and had a diagnostic run . The manual is just so vague that I could use some info on a website that breaks it down engine specific or year specific . The only thing I can get from the manual is bolt sequence and torque specs . Here's another question if I decide to have the head machined what should I tell the machinist , and what should I look for ?

posted by  surfinsparadise

Then my first idea would be to get a Haynes manual. They tend to have better illustrations and step by step procedures than Chiltons. As for the head itself, you need to determine exactly why you're taking it off and also make sure the problem is in the head and not elsewhere.

Any competent machine shop will know exactly what the head needs after they have performed their inspection. The things you'll certainly want is a pressure test for cracks, head resurfacing, valve and seat resurfacing (and possible replacement) and replace or knurl the valve guides. If you have a machine shop you trust, just take it to them and follow their recommendations. If you don't have a shop in mind, start shopping now.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message