Donut Gasket Replacement

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Donut Gasket Replacement

my cars muffler has a hole in the donut gasket. its a p.o.s. so i dont really want to spend the money to get a new muffler system for it. So i figured just replacing the donut gasket might be worth a shot. yes im 100% sure that it is where the whole is.I was woundering if anyone had any tips for replacing the donut gasket since i havent done it before.

Its a 1988 Chevy Caprice Classic V-6 4.3 liter

posted by  Mad Hatter IX

The time or two I have replaced the donut @ the manifold to exhaust pipe flange, my biggest pain was getting the rusted-corroded fasteners loose. I am sure the rest of the fasteners in the exhaust system are probably in the same shape.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

yea i took a peak under there and it looked pretty rusted.

posted by  Mad Hatter IX

I'll swear by PB-Blaster for your rusted nuts :laughing: and bolts. spray this stuff on, tap moderatly with a hammer and repeat. They will break free. Just don't get in a hurry, best if you let it soak overnight. Wear goggles :2cents:

posted by  lectroid

lectoid - I've never tried PB Blaster but am willing to try it sometime - I have an two 02 sensors in a 1992 Crown Vic which has never been removed I need to pull sometime (and am not looking forward to it) Is this stuff available @ places like Autozone, NAPA, Advance, etc?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Once you get the old bolts off, replace them with new ones. Give the threads a good coat of high temp anti-seiz.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I've never heard of PB-Blaster but I'm sure it's worth looking into. I've always used Liquid wrench and it works fine for me. Just had a visit to the junk yard and took a can with me and got off an exhaust manifold with no problem using that stuff.

posted by  DodgeRida67

is it relativly easy to do? cause noones really told me how to do it. i kow where to take it apart i just dont know what to do when im inside.Thanks for the tips on the "rusted nuts" :laughing:

posted by  Mad Hatter IX

Yes it is and it's the best stuff I've ever used and I have been using it for about 8 years. It comes in a 12oz aerosol can. As I said before, wear goggles or glasses.

posted by  lectroid

Thanks.

Most experienced auto enthusiast and professional mechanics already know this but for the benefit of those who are learning to work on cars - Lectoid has a good point about safety glasses/goggles. These should be worn anytime one is working where they can be splashed by chemicals (PB Blaster, antifreeze, oil, gasoline, brake fluid, etc.) or doing any drilling, gutting, grinding, or performing any other operation which could result in having stuff thrown in the eyes. ANSI rated safety goggles/glasses which comply with OSHA requirements for industrial use can be found @ most good hardware stores, some parts places, and places such as Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, etc.) A pair costs about $5.00 and is a good investment compared to loosing your eyesight.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Yeah,I know for a fact...that pb blaster stuff is great

posted by  quad

...only an almost 5 yr old thread... :)

posted by  BavarianWheels

then its about time you try it:laughing:

posted by  quad

Your Message