Need wiring help on 91 rs camaro

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Need wiring help on 91 rs camaro

Hi, I am new to this. I hope I am posting at the right place. I have a 91 rs camaro. I am changing from the factory 305 and throttle body to a plain carb. My engine is a 69 model 350 with alot of mods. done to it. I have had this engine in 3 other cars. 1 of them was a 82 z28 and I did not have to change anything to put it in. What I am facing here is the wiring from all of the electrical componets and fuel injection to my "simple" wired engine. I am running a holley manual fuel pump and electronic ignition with the coil on top of the cap. All I need is the Starter, Charging and ignition wiring to make my engine run. I have a chilton's and oter wiring diagrams for the 91 camaro and they are all different. Has anybody on here done this? I am lost in wires here.....lol

posted by  WNHURST

wow, sounds like a cool project. take some pics and post them as you progress? im not much help with wireing swaps, but if your books have wireing diagrams, then you should be able to do some tracing. dont forget to use a V/Ohm reader test, im sure you've already had experience though.

P.S. hope you dont have to use a module for the rest of the car to opperate.

posted by  davsmitty

the starter,s going to be pretty much the same... what kind of alternator connections do you have (on the alt...) iirc, the pink wire in the coil wire "group" of 4 is the one for the "bat" terminal if you're running an hei...

posted by  dodger65

The alt. has 2 wires on top and one wire on back. I do have the starter wires figured out I think. It has five different wires though according to the diagram. I have 1 diagram that calls for a pink wire for ignition and another that calls for a yellow. By looking at them I think the charging system wires like this. Brown wire to alt., Red wire from top of alt to starter (or hot junction block) and a wire from battery to the back of the alt. Does that sound right? Does the alt actually have 2 hot wires?

Here is what I got from diagrams for starter. Hot wire from battery, 2 ign wires that are run to same lug. 1 wire from alt. (these all go on the middle terminal of the solenoid) I have a purple wire connected to the small lug.

I have no idea on the ignition part yet. I located the plug that went to the original alt on the car. It has 4 wires run to the plug. What is the best way to eliminate the wires that I don't need? I wish I could find a diagram that would have the plug at the firewall (in the engine compartment that would lay out what each wire is by location of the terminal. Is there any such diagram avalible? Thanks alot for any help on this.

posted by  WNHURST

I have a yellow and purple wire (small wire) that run to a plug. Anyone know what this may be? It is not on my wiring diagrams. Can anyone tell me where to find a acurate wiring diagram for 91 RS camaro. Thanks

posted by  WNHURST

These forums are suposed to be helpful........I am glad I am not stranded in the middle of nowhere and need your help.....

posted by  WNHURST

are you telling me you would go to an online forum if you were stranded in the middle of nowhere as opposed to helping yourself or calling a tow truck... i'm sorry as hell that i haven't ditched work and all other responsibilities and obligations i may have to help you on something that you tackled and is evidently over your head. i'm also sorry you evidently can't manage to look at a wiring diagram and figure it out your damned self, like folks had to do before the internet....

posted by  dodger65

LOL, Where is the since of humor.........I guess you would just have to know me to get the joke. I didn't meant to offend anyone......I do know how to read a diagram but mine are not right. actually I have two and they both have differnt wiring diagrams for the same thing. I am not having any luck with the with either one of them......The dagram is calling for a uellow wire where the wire is actually pink......Does anyone know how I can get a "original" gm wiring diagram? sorry for offense......where's the love........later tater...................

posted by  WNHURST

well, that's what the smilies are for.... :laughing: :wink2: :ohcrap: etc...

posted by  dodger65

Your Message