CV Joint replacement, $31.00 a side

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  CV Joint replacement, $31.00 a side

Okay, I just got a quote on a CV Joint @ $31.00 a side. Before I go and spend this money, is there a way I can see a list of cars that have the same CV joints as my 1987 Chevy Sprint (not turbo)? I'm trying to cut prices here as much as possible, after all I paid 20 bux for this whip and am trying to get in it under 100 bills. :smoke:
Luckly I'm located in South Jersey, so I have a selection of veryyy large junkyards, its just a matter of getting in them and finding the part I need. Does anybody have the ability to do a search for similar cars?

posted by  Devon1299

This is the problem when you post another thread on something you have already started in a previous thread.....it gets hard for one person to comment on something that has already been stated. :banghead: You now have THREE THREADS all on THIS issue of your worn out CV joints. I already posted a reply to you indicating that you should not use junkyard parts for this job as for obvious reasons. I hate duplicating my efforts as it waists my time. To avoid me having to duplicate my efforts, which again, I HATE doing.... in future attempts to help you or anyone else, please keep all comments on one thread rather than starting a new one each time. Had you read your old thread you would have seen what I said:

posted by  cmeseadoin

woot. so I checked AutoZOne, and they have outer and inner sections...would I need both?

posted by  Devon1299

In one ear...and out the other. :banghead:

posted by  BavarianWheels

Can someone explain to me what a "woot" is please. :banghead:

posted by  cmeseadoin

well let me tap up the crystal ball and see what it tells me is worn out on your car......hmmmmm :orglaugh:

Let me see...since the wheels turn from side to side, logically more wear is prone to affect the outter CV joints. The inners only go up and down as the wheels bounce the suspension up and down when the tires hit something. I would wager a good guess that the inners are fine and the outter is where the problem is. Moreover, the groaning that you hear when turning tightly is from stressing the outter joints. Take the axles to the autoparts store and have someone qualified look at them and check them. Anyone knowing what they are doing can check for play in the joints if they are really worn out and making noise typically. Are any of the boots torn leaking out the grease and allowing dirt and sand in? If so, REPLACE. :thumbs:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message