Quick chrome question...

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Quick chrome question...

I heard that chrome cracks when it gets below freezing... is this true? How cold can it get? How can I prevent this?

posted by  j_dawg

Most anything will crack if it gets cold enough or the temperature change is rapid enough. I don't see it happening on a car though.

Why didn't you just go ask the dignified geniuses in the other forum?

posted by  vwhobo

i did, but i figured i would get a more accurate, better answer here...

Ok if you had a set of wheels with chrome on them (like the AT Italias you saw in the other thread), would you leave them on during a chicago winter?

now bare with me... I know you would never get those wheels, but just if...

posted by  j_dawg

I lived outside of Chicago till I was 11. My father never has any trouble with chrome in the wintertime except for rust issues due to salt. Of course the quality of the chrome has greatly improved in the last 35 years so that may not be a big factor there.

I was also stationed in North Dakota for four winters once upon a time ago. I never saw chrome crack there either. As I said, I don't think you're going to expose a car to that severe of weather anywhere in the states.

posted by  vwhobo

My brother's Eagle Talon has chrome wheels, and was stored outside the entire winter while mine was inside the garage. About a month ago, we washed it and noticed the chrome on the centercap of one of the wheels was peeling, exposing some rust underneath. The next wheel we looked at had the same thing, except it looked more like a spidercrack, something you might find on a plastic bumper. Very weird. My brother was very upset when we saw them like this; they were his pride and joy.

posted by  Black232Mustang

He's learning :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

ok thanks for the replies... i usually keep my car in the garage during the winter nights and drive it during the day

and yes... i actually had the word "rims" in there at first, but then i thought.... well... i'll just save myself the trouble

Now... as for being stationed in North Dakota... whats that all about... where you in the army... what branch?

posted by  j_dawg

Army? Nope, I can chew gum and walk at the same time so I'm over qualified for the Army. There are a few of us in this forum who are current or former Air Force though. Me, hell I'm retired after 23+ years.

posted by  vwhobo

Nice... I'm looking into doing an ROTC program at college through the Air Force

posted by  j_dawg

I was thinking about joining the RAF..although I know I'd never get in so I decided to stick to....Motor industry/Security Industry/ Police force...much safer too :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Chrome is porus... and when a pin hole occurs it sets up its own cossy little corrosion cell..like a tiny batters. Eats away and then creeps under the surrounding chrome and eventually spits it off as the metal expands. It need to be protected with wax polish or some such to stop the air and water (which forms the electrolyte in the cell, thats why salty water is soo much worse).

posted by  sidecar_jon

So your saying that if i wax the chrome portion of the wheel once a week during the winter... chances are pretty high that it will NOT crack...

correct?

I wax my wheels already so that won't be a problem

posted by  j_dawg

yes... get somthing in between the water and the chrome, wax seems the best thing presuming you dont want to coat it with grease or somthing nasty looking.

posted by  sidecar_jon

Your Message