Corrosion Spots

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Corrosion Spots

Hi!

What is the best possible procedure to remove corrosion spots and then make sure that they don't come back in six months?

Thanks

Alex

posted by  fabriciusa

I'm not sure the best possible way. But I'm assuming you are talking about rust on the body, and not like corrosion on the battery terminals?

I'm not sure the best way, b/c if you sand it down you will have to repaint that spot and idk wut that will do to the paint around it, or the way it looks.
I'm not a body/paint guy, so I'm sure someone on here is.

posted by  Nickboxer7

Hi!
Thanks for answering, yep, the corrosion is on the body near the windshield.
Too small to go to the dealer because they will charge an arm and a leg and serious enough to get it done soon, otherwise, the corrosion will become unmanageable

Alex

posted by  fabriciusa

Yeah, around a window would be a good place to stop the rust. I'm not too sure, but my brother is good with this kind of stuff. He worked part time for a custom paint shop (mainly choppers) for a while. I'll ask him what he would do in the next few days and let you know.

posted by  Nickboxer7

H!

How do the people in the restoration business refurbish and remove corrosion?
There must be industrial chemicals available for corrosion removal and inhibition? Is it better to sand or use chemicals to remove corrosion?
So many questions
Thanks

Alex

posted by  fabriciusa

If you're in the business of restoring cars, you probably would want to do it the right way, which would be to replace the whole panel. I've seen people just cut out the piece of metal that was rusted and weld in a new piece. Thats a lot of work though, to make everything look smooth with a new piece of metal on there.

I've never heard of using chemicals to remove rust, so maybe you're talking about some other kind of corrosion. The cheap way is to take a grinder and grind off the rust, and then just repaint that spot. That will look better than it did before, but still not very good overall.

I'm certainly no body expert, but I don't see anyone else who's very knowledgable chiming in. My advice: if you want a real good job done, bring it to the body shop. People can do a nice job themselves if they are experienced, but you don't seem to know much more than me about the subject.

posted by  giant016

If you sanded it down, primed it, and used some touch up paint to cover it, it will probably look different than your original color still. It could mess up your paint around it too. It would be best to take it to a body shop, especially since it is right around your window. You don't want to have a leak.

posted by  Nickboxer7

1815Hi!

I have attached a picture referencing the fact that this product removes corrosion from cars allowing you to paint afterwards.

Alex

posted by  fabriciusa

Hi to Everyone!

Am I whistling up the wrong tree by posting the corrosion removing chemical or am I behind the times and this is a normal procedure

Alex

posted by  fabriciusa

Your Message