VW Passat Throttle body question

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  VW Passat Throttle body question

car: 1998 VW Passat 1.8T (auto)

problem: I was told by the VW dearler the Throttle Body was in need of cleaning. They wanted over $300. How hard of a job is this for a novice. I'm a quick learner but don't have too much in the way of tools/testing equipment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

posted by  stereoaction

One question.

are they offering this as a "Service" or is it to fix a specific problem with the vehicle?

posted by  hitchhiker

Dealers make me sick :banghead:

posted by  DodgeRida67

I brought it to them because the coolant light was blinking. I couldn't find a reason for it, and there wasn't. So they switched that off and told me about the throttle body. It's running fine. They said if it's not cleaned soon, it could set off the engine light and/or cause performance issues. It has 91,000 miles, and I'm sure it could use cleaning, but if possible I'd like to do it myself.

posted by  stereoaction

I don't know the specifics on that exact car but generally speaking you pull the air duct off the throttle body, spray you some cleaner in the throttle body, open throttle plate and wipe clean with rag.

posted by  DodgeRida67

$300 :screwy: You can do it yourself, with a couple of cans of throttle body cleaner( DON'T USE CARB CLEANER )!!!! Spray the throttle body completely and spray the mass air flow sensor also. $10 at most. Don't use carb cleaner!

posted by  lectroid

Sickening isnt it?

posted by  DodgeRida67

That's RAPE :laughing:

posted by  lectroid

I figured it wuld be something like that. Thanks for all the help. I used to do minor work to my old VW Rabbit. I am always a little aprehensive about jumping in to stuff now that I have newer/computerized/more expensive cars.

Thanks again

posted by  stereoaction

Your Message