2002 pontiac sunfire won't start

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  2002 pontiac sunfire won't start

it ran fine yesterday. got in it @ 5am and it turns over fine but won't start. hope its not the fuel pump. does it have an in-line filter? where can i start? HELP:banghead: :cussing: :doh:

posted by  lcrgal

had the same problem recently in my mustang and it turned out to be a fuel pump on my way home from work and it just dies would turn over but wouldnt start it wasnt geting any fuel so i wish you luck lol

posted by  Andrew0261

Yeah alot of times when the fuel pump goes......it goes... and usally without warning unless you run it out of fuel and burn it up.
Paul

posted by  Bigtime

Ok. We're on the right track as it is turning over therefore the obvious answer is that it's not getting fuel. Yes your car does have an in-line filter however I'd be surprised if it had anything to do with it. However if your filter has never been changed. Hey now's as a good a time as any. Next I'd check for the relay switch fuse thingy (sorry I don't know the correct terms here) it's under the hood under the black cover on the drivers side. I am not sure if it's labled under there anywhere. I'd get the haynes manual if I was you. Anyhow check this. If that is not it then check the wiring and connections to the fuel pump. If this is all in good order then your next obvious step is the fuel pump. If it still don't work after this then I am sorry I wasted your time!!

posted by  TexTruck

yeah I totally forgot that the fuse to the fuel pump could have gone bad.
Also in some cars they have a fuel cutoff switch, alot of times in the rear that trips when in an accident like being rearended. IT helps prevent explosions and such.
Paul

posted by  Bigtime

This thread is full of half-assed and completely-assed advice, but this one takes the cake. You are singled out but it applied to everyone who has participated.

Really? Does it now? If for example the fuel supply and delivery systems are working exactly as required but there is no spark, the engine will most certainly still crank over but will not start. So the million dollar question for all of you wannabe mechanics is, how do the symptoms make it obvious that it's not getting fuel?

Anyone?

Note: Ignition system faults are statistically three times more likely to cause a no-start condition than fuel system fault, so why do the rookies always look in the wrong place first? Because they don't really have a clue. You people don't even know what engine it has and you're already jumping up to give advice. That is, in a word, ridiculous. How can you pretend to have a solution when you aren't even knowledgeable on the problem? If you spent more time asking questions and learning, you'd spend less time taking stabs in the dark and confusing people.

Do you want to help the girl? Start out by telling her to get a service manual and follow the troubleshooting chart.

posted by  vwhobo

YES!! Finally I got told by the Hobo!! Well since I am ending this day on a positive note anyway I might as well ask for somemore. I actually thought about the spark but thought it was fuel you should go after first. Thanks for putting me in my place. As for asking questions to learn I am gonna go throw that back in your face and tell you that when it comes to this forum there is no one who is knowledgeable that answers questions. I have noticed that there are a few besides yourself who have a little know-how but they sure don't share any. I am grateful to you for all the help you gave me and I would not even make suggestions if I thought someone else with more experience might have a valid helpful suggestion for a person who is obviously using the internet for it's true intended purpose INFORMATION GATHERING. Unless I mis-read your responses in your personal information update you are not going to be very available in the near future. Therefore this forum will become effectively usless for anyone searching the internet in regards to finding helpful people with any knowledge to send them in a productive direction when it comes to auto repair. Oh and I did suggest that she get a Haynes manual!!

posted by  TexTruck

The person is asking for help. Not asking you to put down everyone elses answer.:tard:
You may not know this they do not make manuels for that year.
If you listened to the question. He/she say it starts but will not run.
I have the same problem. Same year same vehicle.
Can someone out there with some knowledge give a better answer than find a manuel. What else should I rule out. I replaced the fuel filter. No change.
I think its the fuel pump. but I want to make sure before I spend $200.00 plus my time.
Thanks for being helpful:mrgreen:

posted by  MrClean

You are without a doubt the most ignorant person in this thread.
Oh, really. If that's the case, what is the picture below? A figment of all our imaginations?

http://www.haynes.co.uk/Press/HaynesJackets/RGBhr_38016.jpg

If you said it's the non-existent manual for her and apparently your car, you just gained two IQ points. Or perhaps you were talking about Manuel, the guy who used to do my lawn. The word is manual.

Really? Are you sure? I wasn't able to listen, but I was able to read. What she said, and I quote;

Making the statement that a car starts but doesn't run is ridiculous. You just lost four IQ points. Lose three more and you're a house plant.

I have substantial knowledge, training and experience. I even know that a manual exists for the car and how to correctly spell it. Whether you like it or not, I am helping you by telling you to get a manual and follow the diagnostic procedure. But you then refuse to even help yourself, so why should I? Maybe Manuel will.

You're welcome. Thanks for being an e-tard.

posted by  vwhobo

I can find the picture of a MANUAL sure no prob. In my area I have searched no physical MANUAL for that year or model. Not at Murrays, Autozone, or Bestauto. Neither one of of though places could order me an up to date MANUAL. Which I checked, called, and asked. Well I guess I was wrong cause you found a picture.
I thought coming on here might help. All I got was get a MANUAL.
Sorry for my miss spelling on my other thread. I must be without a doubt the most ignorant person in this thread.
Thanx
oops. I spelled that wrong to.
Thanks

posted by  MrClean

I have to order it online, but I found one.
Must be my lucky day. I'm sure glad someone told to find a MANUAL. :clap:
What would I do without your great advise. I sure can afford my car to sit for several days while my new MANUAL comes in.
To bad there was nobody on here with some knowledge that could of given me some help.
Here is the web site if your interested in getting a MANUAL.
http://discountautorepairmanuals.com

posted by  MrClean

Tried the simple things, like borrowing a fully charged battery? Checking the fuel guage?

posted by  Wally

This statement;

and this statement;

Don't seem to say the same thing. As a matter of fact they seem to directly contradict one another. It looks to me as though you're not only ignorant, but full of sh*t as well. You should last about five posts on this forum. Good job.

BTW, if your head wasn't pushed so far up your anus, you'd know that I gave you more than just a picture. The part number is right on it... Available overnight from Autozone and Murray's. I have no knowledge of Bestauto.

posted by  vwhobo

ok this is gonna take two people if u wanna rule out the fuel pump while u are standing next to were u pump ur gas in (gas cap) try to squat down and listen t while some one turns the key to the on postion but not crank over the engine if u here a kind of click or winding noise ur pump is good ur getting a full 12 volts to ur fuel pump then like one of the previous comments said if u have acces to teh right tool check if u have pressure at the fuel rail google t find out the correct amount of pressure or if u want i can check alldata pro for u if u would like after that if u are getting a the correct amount of pressure also like a preivous comment had said now would be a good time to replace ur fuel filter if u havent changed it. it is a good idea to change it for it will benifit ur mpg's. if that doesnt work try to get a hold of a scan tool and look up the codes if u dont know how to do this its better just to take it to ur local gm dealer so they can hook up a TECHII to it to be safe and please if any one wants to talk shit about how i explainded enything suck my 8888 and lets see if u can do a better job :888: :thumbs:

posted by  chevydude232

thank u for explaning it better i completly forgot to say about the power to the pump id u dont have any power to the pump there is no need to replace but any way like i had said before i can get all the specifacations for u on the computers at my work we have GM dealer world but if u are more hands on the manul is the way to go good luck

posted by  chevydude232

I trouble shot the best I could. I have a good battery, The starter checks out good. I am not getting fuel to the injectors. Nor is the fuel rail have any presure. When I turn the key I do not hear the noise for the fuel pump.
My guess like I thought before is the fuel pump. When I sprayed starter fluid in the carb. It started and ran until the fluid ran out.
Thanks for your help.

posted by  MrClean

"Carby"?

posted by  Wally

why would you spray starter fluid in the "CARB" what made you think that would be a good idea, did you read the label on the can? Darwin award for you sir! you probably forgot to put gas in it, that would be awesome and soo well deserved

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

It's my fault for not telling you everyhting I checked. Unless my girlfriend went through the motions at the gas pump the day before the car stopped working, Yes, there is fuel in the tank.
What made me think to spray starter fluid in the "CARB"? (I know it's not a carb. engine. it is just easyier to say that, and you obviously knew what I was talking about.)
Well, since it sounded a though it wanted to start, but would not. I gave it a shot. I sprayed it in. The car started and ran for a second then stopped. I tryed to start it again without spraying. It did not start. I once again sprayed starter fluid in the "CARB". It ran again for a second and stopped. I pulled the injector rail. I had someone turn the key and no fuel shot out the injectors.
Also no fuel pump sound when you turn the key to the start position.
Am I missing anything?

posted by  MrClean

did you look for a fuse for the fuel pump in your owners manual?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

I have the same problem with my 2002 Pontiac Sunfire. The car wants to turn over so bad but can't. I can't hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to the on position. I have changed the fuel filter, checked the relay and checked the fuel pump. There are only 5 volts going to the fuel pump. I hate this car, I took it to the mechanic. He said in order to replace the fuel pump he is going to have to drop the exhaust system then the gas tank because the pump is inside the tank. $400 repair!
On top of that, I bought an interface in order to install an after market stereo. The interface is screwed and caused my computer on the car to fry. I turn my high beams on and all of my lights, exterior and interior turn off. When driving the daytime running lights flicker on and off quickly and are accented by the check engine light which flickers on and off opposite of what the lights are doing.
The seat belt design keeps the belts from correctly retracting when you take it off. They get slammed in the door and have broken both door latches. We do it Dukes of Hazard style through the window.
My rear marker lights went out and due to bad design the wires get soaked with salt water (I live in NY and they salt the roads in the winter) that is sprayed upwards by the back tires. Caused the light bulb to burn out and the rear of my car to catch on FIRE!!!
I HATE THIS CAR!!!!

posted by  Cmmalamutes

Your Message