Alloy Wheels...HELP!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Alloy Wheels...HELP!

Hi guys,

I brought a car about 6months ago it came with alloys cut along story short i have only just realised the the alloys hav a cap over the wheel nuts which you need some kind of tool to take it off with i asked the last owner and got no where! so can any tell me what tool i need ..its like got a circle which then has 3 holes!!

i know it seems strange but its hard to explain but hopefully someone will now what im going on about!

Cheers :ohcrap:

posted by  winegums

Usually I'd bug you to introduce yourself in the intro section..infact, I still am lol..but this is so easily solved that it's easier to tell you the info that you require..bassically you need a locking wheel nut key. As your alloys have locking wheel nuts to stop theft. Your best bet is to get a garage to remove them with a special tool and then either buy some more (from any car parts shop or auto factors) or replace them with standard wheel nuts from the manufacturer of the car.

Well, that's all ya need to know... :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

Thanks alot mate ...soon as i get a spare 10mins ill introduce me self.

thanks again

posted by  winegums

No probs mate... :thumbs:...I look forward to reading an intro very soon :ticking:

posted by  Cliffy

I thought there should be an adapter with the car that goes on the tire tool to take the anti-theft lug nut off? And shouldn't there be just one of those anti-theft lugs per wheel?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Yep and they usually keep it stored in the glove compartment/box, or spare tire well. You have to know what your looking for, not saying he doesn't :mrgreen:

posted by  lectroid

Locking wheel nuts are usually the same per wheel, there is one on each of the four wheels. If the alloys were not standard fit, and the owner who bought them cant remember where he put them, the only way around it is to remove and replace the nuts. In my experience, people tend to either forget about them or lose them. I've had great fun in the past trying to find them, and it's amazing the kind of places they are left in. Why cant people just leave them on the seat when brining their car in for a service? lol

posted by  Cliffy

Just a quick question winegums...

What kind of car? Are they stock Alloys or aftermarket?

Some companys like VW or Audi have caps that come off with a special pair of tweezers that look like tongs. Audi has a BBS rim that has a big nut in the middle. Chevrolet has a cap that screws on the lug nut. If they are after market there are a few options as well.

posted by  hitchhiker

I've a feeling he/she's British...or Austrailian due to his/her wording. Also, the key he/she describes sounds like a very familiar one that Vauxhall use on their cars (with three small 'male' circular prongs on them). I'm not sure if these keys are UK only or if you guys have them in the states. However, I suppose aftermarket retailers sell alloys with this kind of removal tool too. IMHO..It's a really stupid setup which can break too easily! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

They are not meant to be fail-safe, only a good theft deterent. Locks are only for the honest people :doh:

posted by  lectroid are right, only thing I hate about them is that people seem to think by tightening them with an air gun, they will be twice as safe :doh:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message