Transmission trouble

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Transmission trouble

My father called regarding a problem with his car, a 1998 Buick Century, he believes it is a 3.1 liter engine; however, he doesn't know for certain. His trouble started when he went out to go for a drive, the automatic gear lever was difficult to move from park. He finally got it out of park and drove to his destination, realizing then that if he shut the car off (placing the lever in park again) and then attempted to drive home he might not get it out of park. He left the car running and took it back home, shut it off and then re-started the car and found that he could not budge it from park. Any one know of a temporary solution as in can he get the car moving without having to tow in to a shop or does any one know if this is a common problem that can be solved by him doing something correct that he may doing wrong (he says he is doing everything the way he always did it).

posted by  trouble

Is he parking on a hill? The car could be resting in park... :2cents:

posted by  DodgeRida67

if he is not parked on a hill, about the only DIY thing to an automatic tranny unless you are mechanically inclined is to adjust the shift linkage. and make sure the tranny is in the gear is is supposed to be in.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Thanks for the quick replies, my father is not parked on a hill so I don't believe that the car is resting in park. I will let him know about the linkage, however, he is 85 years old and may not want to tinker with it. He probably will wait until tomorrow when I can travel to his house and attempt, as best I can, to assist him.

posted by  trouble

on your way to his house, stop @ anautoparts chain store (Autozone, etc) and buy a Haynes manual - it has the specific procedure

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message