Ignition/starter questions - 89 Mazda 626

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Ignition/starter questions - 89 Mazda 626

Hello,

My starter is bad so I've been push starting it, but it was just broken into and they messed up the part where the key goes in so I can't get it in there. I just got a tow sticker on it. The steering wheel is locked. I took off all the stuff around the steering wheel column but I dont know what I'm doing. I looked up how to hot wire my car since I cant use the key but I don't know if it will work with a bad starter. Do I have to push it and hot wire it all at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

posted by  bluemaggie

Hi Maggie, In most cases it's alot easier to simply repair the vehicle lol, plus, if the steering wheel lock is on you wont be able to steer when you've hot wired the car. You might have to break the lock off :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

:laughing: If you can, I for one, would like to watch :laughing: You the gurl,go baby, go baby :thumbs:

posted by  lectroid

If the "thing where the key goes in" is broken, some one probably used a basin wrench or similar tool in a botched up attempt to break the ignition lock. At best and hopefully, the steering wheel will need to be pulled off of the car (be sure and disconnect the battery and disable the air bags first if equipped) and the ignition switch/lock assembly replaced. At worst, in addition to the ignition switch, the ignition yoke lock assembly replaced and or the steering yoke upper/intermediate shaft replaced

Cant give many suggestions about the starting system without knowing the make, model, etc. of the car.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

lol, you blind buddy? 89 Mazda 626 - right in the title of this thread :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

I found it - just needed to clean my glasses.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message