Engine dogged down after repairs

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Engine dogged down after repairs

I just recently repaired quite a few problems in my car (92 Chrysler Lebaron 3.0 Liter V6) and the engine is now very dogged down and has not near the power it did have. Here is a list of the repairs:
-Solenoid assembly on the transmission (not having to do with the starter, but shifting) and controller
-Radiator
-Water pump
-Timing belt
-Wheel bearings
-Brakes
-Thermostat
-Regular tune-up (spark plugs, oil change, distributor and rotor)
Also, after we finished the repairs and I took it for a drive, there seemed to be a small amount of smoke coming from the wheels (possibly under the car). I was wondering if that could be because of all of the new parts (gaskets/seals fusing) or if it was even normal. The exhaust has a different smell to it also (kind of like fireworks) and it back-fired on me once (the first time it has ever happened). I don't know if the timing just needs to be reset or what, but something is wrong. I checked the spark plug wires and they are fine (nothing is crossed) and I don't want to have to take the whole car apart againt to fix it (a pain in the @$$ in those sideways Mitsubishi motors). Someone said I may need to replace the tensioner assembly (spring may have broken), but what affect would this have on my car if I needed a new one? Please someone give me some feedback.
:screwy:

posted by  sadiemac_2004

Make sure when the plug wires went back on, the firing order was 1-6-3-5-2-4. Also make sure the #1 plug wire is in the location is it supposed to be in on the dist cap (A haynes manual will help in that regard)

Is there a possibility you could have gotten the valve and ignition timing off? I noticed replacing the timing belt was one of the operations done. When this job is done, the #1 cylinder should be @ TDC with the two timing marks on the crank and cam shafts aligned. If the cam shaft or crank shaft was rotated slightly after the old timing belt was removed, the engine will not run well since the valves are opening and closing at other times besides when are supposed to , the distributor camshaft sensor is sending bad data to the ECM and the engine is trying to fire @ the wrong time. Hopefully the belt tensioner was working well too.

If this is the case, the only way to fix it is to take the car back apart and make sure everything the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft are aligned with the #1 cylinder @ TDC and make sure the #1 plug wire is in proper location on dist cap.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Thank you for the help. I figured it out today. The spark plug wires were crossed. Thank god I didn't have to take the car apart again. I feel really stupid though, I don't know how I could've missed that. Anyway, everything else seems allright. The smoking is gone, the car shifts nicely, and sounds great. Plus it has the pick-up it had before. Thanks again.
Sadie :doh:

posted by  sadiemac_2004

Don't worry about it. It happens.

posted by  DodgeRida67

"The spark plug wires were crossed. Thank god I didn't have to take the car apart again. I feel really stupid though, I don't know how I could've missed that."

You aren't the first person who has ever crossed spark plug wires nor will you be the last.

I am just glad it was as simple as the plug wires.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message