90 geo tracker wont shift

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  90 geo tracker wont shift

Hello, name is Ed, greetings to all. I am trying to fix a 90 geo,Tracker 4wd, 5 speed manual transmission, 1.6l, 4 cyl, 8valve eng. i bought it with a "bad clutch" . when i bought it the problem was it wont shift into any gear as long as it is running. if u start it in gear it will take off and other than being in first and not being able to stop or shift seems normal, engine off it shifts ok. I bought a clutch kit(press plate, clutch, throw out bear, pilot bear) on ebay, turned the flywheel and installed it with no issues. but i have the same problem. Changed the clutch cable, got different trans, and still same. the only parts that are the same are the, shift stick and transfer case. I have changed other trans and clutch on trucks and cars and never had any problems. I asked a trans repairman and he says its a clutch release problem, and now i have moved all the adjustments from the pedal to the trans release arm:banghead: any ideas ?? could i have gotten a bum trans?? i bought it used from a private individual. but the same exact problem?? any help would be immensily appreciated!!!! thanks

posted by  isrcas

for some reason your pressure plate isn't being disengaged by the throw out bearing. check that the clutch fork is moving correctly and check your pedal linkage.

posted by  carls47807

thanks carls47807,
I have been told that its a clutch release problem and i have "messed" with the pedal adjustments and the clutch cable adjustments. will look at that again tonight. Do you know if the transfer case can cause that?? when i pulled the old clutch the pressure plate and disk springs looked a little rough but disk still had enough meat to grab w/o problems. i mentioned b4 that i bought it like that, so it was probably driving when this happened. any suggestions on what i can do?? on a side note....My first car was a 1963 corvair. had lots of fun with it. gave my keys to anyone who asked for it. no one could drive it though. the shifter lever was a tiny lever on the dash, so they could start it but not drive away.

posted by  isrcas

see above

posted by  isrcas

sounds like your pressure plate is bad. does the clutch pedal move freely or is there some effort needed to press it? waht i think is happening is the plate is worn so you are unable to lift it and get the car into gear

posted by  newyorker

thanks NewYorker,
well i replaced the 4 items with new ones. so unless i got a bad set....:banghead: i guess its possible.

posted by  isrcas

have you checked the shifter itself? shift linkages? are all cables hooked to the transmission properly? there really are a lot of things that come in here. did you align the clutch properly with an alignment fork? torque everything to spec? also check the clutch pedal to make sure that its working sometimes you may have a bad cable there that is ****ing up. other than that, try to give us a description of what is happening currently. what happens when you start the car, press the clutch, shift, etc. after changing the 4 items. hear from you soon

posted by  newyorker

ok thanks again. didnt have time yesterday so all i did is ; remove the clutch cable and ensure it had free travel back and forth, moved the transmission lever to test for free play (without the cable connected)which is about 1"-1.5". (that seemed like a lot), and checked the pedal. now the pedal doesnt seem to have a stop on the upside so it goes all the way to the bottom of the dash. the stop screw, can be adjusted but seems too far out, shouldnt there be a forward stop on the clutch pedal?? (i compared and sidekicks do).
i'll try more tonight. so the problem might be in this area.:ohcrap:

thanks
ed

posted by  isrcas

that i cant help you with. unfortunately I am good at thinking of possible problems, but clueless as to how to fix them :banghead:

for example if my friend tells me that his steering feels tighter than before, i can say "it might be the power steering pump, accesory belt, hose, etc." but I dont know how to replace those things, and dont know how they work

posted by  newyorker

:thumbs:

Thanks to al!!!
we finally got it. this was a real headache everything measured ok when dry but when i tried it it wouldnt work. this is what i finally did. I took everyones advice that it must be in the clutch release side and concentrated on that. Yesterday i took the cable out and checked it and lubed it it worked great. today i reinstalled and readjusted all of it. i dry tried it and i felt the pressure plate pop so i thought that it was done. cranked the car and it worked for ONE try !! then back to the cant shift. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: well after checking and checking i got my son to pump the clutch as i watched the trans lever and everything else i could..... :clap: I noticed that the cable would twist like a snake and sort of inflated in a small section when he pressed the clutch down. I got a hold of it and had him pump again,,,,VOILA as i held the cable i felt the inner cable pop out of the metal casing and expand the rubber insulation!!!!. I installed another cable and i could feel the pop of the pressure plate. I am sure that its fixed now but i have to wait till tomorrow afternoon to drive it. Thanks for all the help. ill let u know how it comes out.:thumbs:

posted by  isrcas

:clap: That was it. car shifts now, anyone in the market for a used 4wd trans should be good as new one didnt fix it??

thanks again. really appreciate all the help. I am sure ill come back to ask for more help though and lend a hand if able to. :thumbs:

Ed

posted by  isrcas

Your Message