'96 Cavalier won't turn over

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  '96 Cavalier won't turn over

I just sold my 1996 Chevy Cavalier (2 door, 5 speed, 4 cylinder) to a friend of mine. It has been sitting in my garage since November except for a few test drives. Last Thursday, I went to take it out for a spin and when I tried to start it, I turned the key and it would just click. My husband got a battery charger from his dad and charged it over night and it started without a problem(first try) on Friday. It started for a test drive on Friday evening and it started Saturday evening in the rain - both times with a single try. My friend decided she wanted the car (it's for her daughter) and so I drove it over in the evening on Sunday (again, it started without a problem). I get a call from her sunday night. Her husband and daughter were running it up and down their driveway (she's learning standard) and they stopped the car, and now it won't start - it just clicks. The battery was last changed in 1998. She had a friend hook up a battery charger this morning and it still won't start this afternoon. Could it be the starter? Does a starter motor just go like that or could it be something else? It looks like I'm going to have to get it towed to a shop. If it is a starter - how much do they usually cost?

Murphy's Law

posted by  Murphy's Law

Take the battery to Advance Auto Parts (I hope you have one around?) and they will test the battery for you. Free.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Unfortunately we don't. I was thinking of driving over and attemping to jump start it to make sure it is/isn't the battery. Do you think this is a good plan?

posted by  Murphy's Law

Yes I do think that's a good plan. If it starts then you'll know it's the battery :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Your battery has been "stored" for how many months? It still had a constant drain, just to even keep your clock timed. Has anyone bothered to check the water level in the cells, if not most cells a probably dead. Do you know the proper way to jumpstart a vehicle? This can be very dangerous :doh:

posted by  lectroid

even if you get it jump started, the battery should be load tested by a garage or autoparts place

may want to make sure charging system is OK while looking @ car.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

It jump started, so we ripped out the battery and went on down to Canadian Tire to get a new one. Some of the cells were down, but not dry (according to my hubby). Started first shot. I paid for the new battery.

Thansk for all your help!

posted by  Murphy's Law

Your Message