rough idle then cuts out/code 54

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  rough idle then cuts out/code 54

thx for the time to read my problem.84 Olds cutlass supreme 307 87,000 miles the problem started when i was on the expressway in heavy stop and go traffic, while i was stopped the car idled real low the check engine light came on and i had to two foot it all the way home. For the past 2 months my idle has been so rough that i dont even get a chance to put it in gear before it cuts out. i get black smoke out of both tailpipes & soot out of the drivers side tailpipe i have no cats. I got an error code of 54 which is the m/c solenoid. i replaced the solenoid myself. drove the car around the block, it died out, i got it started and went home to check for codes i got same code of 54, oh btw i disconnected battery for 5 mins also. things i have changed, spark plugs,wires,coil,cap & rotor and checked vacuum hose. Also i have a multimeter with no dwell is there anyway to test ecm components without dwell.
I would greatly appreciate all suggestions

posted by  tarius

Please read this first.
Thanks
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200

posted by  tbaxleyjr

84 olds cutlass supreme 307 87,000 miles

posted by  tarius

What model and year is the Olds?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

replaced ign. mod., but still same symptoms. 84 cut sup

posted by  tarius

Ever replaced the oxygen sensors? It is recommended they be replaced every 30,000 miles. :2cents:

posted by  lectroid

going out to try 02 sensor now. any other suggestions greatly appreciated

posted by  tarius

Has the carburator ever been overhauled or replaced with a rebuilt one?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message