Lug Studs

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Lug Studs

I have an 83 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 307 Code Y, 303,000 miles on it. I went on a trip recently and some bored children took the lug nuts off of my left rear wheel and eventually the wheel flew off going down the highway and now my lug bolts are bent. I'm hoping to find someone who knows how to change these bolts. I have drums and shoes on the rear.

posted by  George

Redneck way= beat them out with a 2-3lb hammer, reinstall the same way. Risk= cracking drum. Take to a shop. Probably 2 bucks a stud and $30 labor, well worth it. If you really insist on doing it yourself, you need at least a 3 inch vice. Do you have one?

posted by  lectroid

Everyone knows the redneck way is to jack the car down on the studs :laughing:

posted by  DodgeRida67

sounds like some unsupervised childern whose parents need to deal with their boredom or provide them with a little "guidance and an attitude adjustment"

The ability to drive out the old studs and install the new ones depends on if there is room behind the rear hub and backing plate to get the studs in and out. If there is not room, you may end up either removing the backing plate or pulling the hub or rear axle depending on how the assembly is built to get room

I have been known to press in the new stud by placing a few flat washers between a lug nut and the outside of the hub and tightening the lug nut (turned backwards)

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Thanks for your help. The "Redneck" Method got the studs out. Now i'm putting them back in. But the only trouble is I have to jack the back of the car up and spin the rear end for clearance. Kind of sucks because I can only change two at a time. So that's two times that I have to move the rear end.

posted by  George

I would be happy just to spin the axle for clearance - you have to pull it to replace rear studs on my Crown Vic.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message