1992 Nissan Stanza stalling

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1992 Nissan Stanza stalling

My '92 Nissan Stanza keeps stalling. I have changed plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, coil, resister, fuel filter, checked all fuses and relays, checked the fuel pump and am now checking the wiring harness. The car will run for a while then stall for no apparent reason. I have placed an in line spark tester off the coil and found that there is usually no spark. The moment I get a spark it fires right up. As the car sits with the key in the 'on' position, I can hear the relays for the ignition and fuel pump clicking, intermittently. As they click the fuel pump will run then shut off, and I hear the relays click again, as well as see a spark on the tester at the coil. All the while the car is not running. if anybody has any idea as to the problem, or has experienced a similar problem, I would really appreciate some help.

posted by  Patroller

Wholesale replacement of parts seldom repairs a car, except by accident or luck. It is however time consuming and costly, isn't it?

Take a look at this thread (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=27914). Although there is a lot of garbage and pointless arguing, there are also some worthwhile tips. You just have to figure out which is which. It doesn't apply directly to your car, but the engine, engine management and diagnostic strategies for the two cars are essentially the same, so most of the info will relate.

You might also want to give this thread (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200) a gander. I don't think your description quite covered all of it.

Finally, DTC's and recent repair history. Yes, no or maybe? Let us know.

posted by  vwhobo

I thank you for your response. I did read those threads and found it quite amusing. I do have plenty of automotive experience, but my skills end once vehicles have to be hooked to a computer to find out what is wrong. I know the basics, have replaced numerous engines, trannies, t-cases, brakes etc., and I have even rebuilt a 1965 Nissan Patrol from the ground up, extensively modifying it for off road use. But this has stumped me.

I just bought this car 3 weeks ago, with the knowledge that it needed electrical repair. The previous owner could not get the car started, to which sounded like a dead battery or bummed starter. I took a look and thought I was getting a good deal, as the rest of the car is in great shape. I towed it home, pulled the starter, bench tested it and found it to be faulty. It was still under warranty so I replaced it free of cost.

Any vehicle I buy I always do the basics, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, so that I know the level of maintenance I am starting at as new owner. The new starter seemed the fix the problem at first, but as I said the car won't stay running. I have ruled out a fuel system problem due to the lack of spark while trying to start it. And as I said, when I suddenly get a spark, the engine fires right up. It runs strong, has plenty of power, doesn't cough, or sputter, then with no warning, it stalls.

My question is, why am I not getting a spark? What are the possible causes, to intermittent sparking? I'd be very grateful for help, as the Nissan dealer wasn't very helpful.

posted by  Patroller

This is my second time responding to your post because either a moderator or the software saw fit to delete the last one.

You still haven't shared with us if any DTC's are present and if so what they are. Step #1 in any diagnostic procedure on a modern automobile. That being said, take a look at this (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v325/vwhobo/?action=view¤t=nis0174 ap.jpg) and see if it sounds familiar.

posted by  vwhobo

Maybe I'm just having a brain fart, but what do you mean by DTC's?

posted by  Patroller

Diagnostic Trouble Codes

posted by  vwhobo

No codes. The check engine light did come on when I drove it to Nissan, when they diagnosed it on the computer it came up as the coolant tempature sensor, which was highly corroded, so the replaced it. No other codes came up, and the check engine light no longer comes on.

posted by  Patroller

And what about NIS0174AP?

posted by  vwhobo

If so they did not inform me of any others. What is NIS0174AP?

posted by  Patroller

The link in post four. :sleep:

posted by  vwhobo

The temp. of the engine has no effect as to it starting or not. It won't keep running, hot or colld. There is no spark most of the time, hot or cold, then, all of a sudden... SPARK, and it fires right up, again hot or cold. There is no specific terms as to when it will start. That is why I'm having trouble diagnosing it my self. When it is running I can't make it stall, by moving wires or anything like that. I stand back then all of a sudden it stalls. Starts right back up again, or sometimes a have to try a few times. It may run 10 min., it may run 10 sec. but then it stalls. As I've said when I turn it over, and it won't start, there is no spark. So I need to find out what is stopping that spark. Give me a bone if you have one but these other situations aren't the same as mine, and there is still no answer, as to how to fix their problems either, so I don't know how that is going to help me. If you have an idea as to what part of my car is causing the problem I'd love to know. If there are a few things I should be checking, great, I'll check. I have access to a parts car but I don't know which parts to try. What are my possible causes for an interuption of the spark?

posted by  Patroller

Nor me.....Although I don't see any evidence of anything disappearing...Maybe I'm missing something, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

:screwy: I take it this means you are clueless...

posted by  Patroller

Well thank you for pointing that out. That is what I was looking for is a dirrect suggestion to try, I don't have time or the patience for somebody to beat around the bush, trying to make me figure out my own problems. I needed help and suggestions, not guildence to reference matierial. As it turns out, I have recieved the same advice from talking to a few people (friends of friends), I just haven't had time to try anything yet. And by the way yes I did read through those threads, but nothiong seemed very specific for me to try. Thanks again, I will try when I get time and I will post if it works.

posted by  Patroller

Well it turns out that the problem was the cam position sensor. I had to replace the whole distributor, but the car runs great now. Thanks for your help.

posted by  Patroller

Your Message