engine troubles

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  engine troubles

I just bought a 81 honda accord from a guy who said he just put a new headgasket on and now the car will turn over but wont start..the guy said the car ran before he installed the gasket..where do i start to figure out the problem..thanks

posted by  Jay9130

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200

The above link discusses the protocal we follow in this forum

Is it cranking but not starting? Are you getting fuel?, Is there spark @ the spark plugs? etc. A little more info would be helpful so we dont start you down on troubleshooting path and miss something else entirely.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

The car does crank over, there is spark at the plugs,(but it dosent seem like a strong spark). i dont know if there is fuel getting to the combution chamber, (i dont know how to check for this). Dont know if timing is right. i dont know where to start..Thanks for any tips.

posted by  Jay9130

I think you should start by doing a compression check.

posted by  DodgeRida67

when I do the compression test, what would be a normal reading for each cylinder?

posted by  Jay9130

I'm not sure. You might be able to get that info from a dealer. Being an '81 may make that difficult though :ohcrap:

posted by  DodgeRida67

I don't have the specs on a Honda but I would guess 130 - 150 psig with the cylinders being within 15% of each other

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Since were guessing here, I'm going to say between 110 and 120. I like it to be within 10% but 15% is max.

posted by  DodgeRida67

true for an 81. My daughters 99 Nissan specs are in the 135-150 psig range

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message