Trouble w/ 95 Mitsubishi Galant

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Trouble w/ 95 Mitsubishi Galant

Hello, I currently have a 1995 Mitsubishi Galant (Automatic) Sedan with 100,300 miles currently on it. Being a college student living at school and very busy with school and part-time work (on-campus), I pretty much left my car sitting in the parking lot for 4 months without even turning it on once as I always went out with roommates in their cars and used school's transportation to get around campus. Now this is finals week and I'll be moving back home this weekend so I went to my car to bring it around to start loading my stuff slowly instead of waiting for saturday, however, the car would not start, which I expected, so I got a jump start from a friend. The car started up just fine but than when I got into it and accelerated, the car started to make a loud constant noise which it never made before but only while I accelerate to about 5MPH and continued even while car was not moving. The noise, as I can best describe it, sounds something like, DHUG DHUG DHUG DHUG DHUG DHUG. This noise gets louder and faster as I accelerated to higher speeds of about 15MPH. :ohcrap:

Now I'm sure I won't be able to use the Galant on saturday so I've gotten permission from a friend of mine who has a house 2 blocks away from campus to leave my car in his empty driveway space until I figure out what to do. I am graduating this saturday morning and am moving to North Carolina on May 24th where I've accepted a job offer. As you can tell, I'm in a bit of a situation and don't exactly have big bucks at this time to spend on a mechanic ripping me off as I don't know any around. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone on this board would be able to tell me anything about this problem occuring to the car from what I have stated and what could be the reason of it. If you need any further information that can help figure out something further, please let me know and I will do my best.

Thanks you for reading all of this, I wrote as many details as I could so you know exactly what the situation is.

posted by  JayJiGGz

Was the parking brake set for all that length of time ?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Yes, I believe it was.

posted by  JayJiGGz

It might be stuck or halfway stuck. It's worth checking, may be all that's wrong... :2cents:

posted by  DodgeRida67

As you say the noise doesn't stop when the vehicle does, I'd say that the handbrake is pretty much out of the question...unless that isn't the case. I'd say it's more than likely to do with the engine, you should bear in mind that if you just get in a car that you've left standing for the best part of four months, start it up and drive off, you wont be doing the engine any favours. You see, the engine oil that would normally stick to engine components for a few days or even weeks to keep the engine lubricated would, in four months, be in the sump only, hence, meaning that the engine has no lubrication. I'd advise that you start the car up and let the oil move around the engine, better still, do an oil and filter change on it to be on the safe side :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

I forgot the part when he said it is noisy even when stopped...sorry I
ll read more carefully :banghead: :oops: :sleep:

What we can now do to narrow it down a bit, is, rev the engine up out of gear and listen if the noise gets louder, if not, it's obviously not coming from the engine. Although, it would be a little weird if it wasnt coming from the engine since you said it is noisy while stopped. Atleast it would make this situation worse. Anyway, about the only things I can think of that would make that noise is the water pump, fan hitting shroud, belts or seized alternator.

Like Cliffy said, I'd do an oil and filter change. On top of that check all your fluids. Tranny, Power Steering fluid, Coolant, ect.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Thank you all who replied with your helpful suggestions. I had been extremely busy during the weekend due to my graduation. However, I was able to get a little done on the car on Monday.

I gave it a jump start again today to get it started as the last time I never let the battery reenergize all the way. After getting the car started, I let it warm up for about 20 minutes and than reved it up a bit while parked. The noise does get louder and lower in straight connection with the accelerator. When starting the car, it almost sounds as if starting a Harley! but much scarier as it's happening with my car :( . Well after letting it get heated and such, it started to rain outside so I shut the hood and came back inside. Tomorrow (Tuesday), I'm going to take the car and get an Oil/Filter change and will let you guys know what comes about.

Once again, thank you all for your help! I greatly appreciate it.

posted by  JayJiGGz

Your Message