Car door will not shut

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Car door will not shut

Please help.It is cold and after coming out of store door would not shut. Please offer suggestions.

posted by  bjbll50

You're going to need to include more details.

Is the door sagging (bad hinges)?
Is the locking mechanism not allowing the door to shut?

Basically, what is stopping the door from shutting?

posted by  giant016

make and model? what is it doin? besides not shut.. maybe a little more detail? make sure the latch isnt clicked shut even thogh the door is open.. not sure how that could happen unless someone pushed it shut

posted by  Montage

check for seatbelt hanging out the door

posted by  windsonian

=This is a '95 Chevy cavalier. It may be clicked closed,I don't know what that means. No seat belt in door. Just does not close. Lock seems to open and close but does not.

posted by  bjbll50

Locking mechanism does not seem to allow the door to close.

posted by  bjbll50

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/mvstm_tsd/images/206_Fig_Typical_%20Back_Doo r_Latch_Eng.gif
If the light gray piece has moved to the closed position before the door was shut, the door will not be able to shut until it (the gray piece) is returned to the open position. this can normally be done by just pulling the door handle. However, if it is dirty you might need to encourage it along. I doubt this is your problem, unless someone was playing with the door before you tried to shut it. Does the door shut all the way, but just not latch shut, or does it feel like it is hitting something solid before it is all the way shut? Did it always close fine before, or did you have to lift or push the door hard to get it shut? any body damage around the door?

posted by  dvdrose18

It appears to be hitting something because it will not close all of the way. I had gone in a store.This is what happened when I came out.There's no body damage around door. It's aligned. Don't have to lift it or anything. It's cold here.That's the only new element. This has never happened before.

posted by  bjbll50

it sounds like the latch is somehow closed which is really weird.. that dosent happen unless you physiclly close it yourself.. look at the diagram above then look at your car.. there should be a little bar that the door latch hooks on to.. close the door slowly and see if thats where its hitting.. if it is then pull the handle and kinda pry the latch open with your finger at the same time.. should pop open

posted by  Montage

Thank you guys for all your help. I have it closed just as the snow sets in. I'm from Louisiana and I've never experienced snow so I was beginning to get discouraged. A new town and a car door that would not shut,I was about to be the cry baby that most women turn into when they can't get it!!!!!!

posted by  bjbll50

haha so what was it

posted by  Montage

in the future, just slam it :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

which, if the latch is shut, would cost you a door latch, and labor to replace it:screwy: :banghead:.

posted by  dvdrose18

It was a joke

posted by  newyorker

Which I should have realized:ohcrap: , but someone might take you seriously. You can never tell with people these days.

posted by  dvdrose18

I did slam mine a couple days ago! Trunk, that is.

I was driving to work and the dash started telling me a door was open. I noticed the trunk bouncing back and forth so I stopped to close it. I just thought I left it open, so I slammed it shut as usual and the thing sprang right back up!! Inspected the latch, wiggled it a little, and then kinda applied a little pressure to it just to see how much resistance I would get but it just closed right back up. Weird.

With the cold, I also feel like my door handle could just break any day. The rubber on the door just really challenges me every morning. I need like a door opening wedge stick so I don't keep using my key to try to pry the door open :laughing: Or maybe remote start and running the Engine for a few mins before coming out would warm things up?

posted by  JaneiR36

Your Message