1983 bmw 528e

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1983 bmw 528e

hi i recently purchased a 1983 bmw 528e. Great car overall everything is in perfect condition except one thing........the engine overheats here is what i have tryed allready. I have replaced the fan clutch, i have replaced the water pump and have taken out the thermastat and put it back in to check if it was bad. my first guess was that it was the head gasket, but i thought that i would try everything else first. there are no obvious singes of this problem no white smoke, no water spraying all over, and no water in the oil. could it still be the head gasket?????? or is threre anything else i can try??? somone help please

posted by  bmw528e

Have you checked the water hoses for blockage? Sometimes there's some build up that causes restricted cooling flow and higher running temp.

Great car! Mine is a 1988. See sig pics.

posted by  BavarianWheels

Just a little bit confused. which don't take much :laughing: And about the thermostat?

posted by  lectroid

I think he ment by:

That he took out the thermostat, put it in water at the supposed opening temp and it opened, so it was ok. Then he put it back in. I guess... :2cents:

posted by  DodgeRida67

You may, But I doin'k think so. :orglaugh:

posted by  lectroid

What do you think he ment?

posted by  DodgeRida67

well no actually, i took the thermastat out and ran the car without it (still overheated) I wanted to see if the owners before put the wrong one in then i put it back in after i replaced the fan clutch and the water pump. I did also check the hoses and the radiator for blocking.

posted by  bmw528e

That method would work OK for testing a thermostat, if the car wasn't overheating to begin with.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Thank you for your help i will try doing that to my thermostat. If anyone else knows what else could be making the engine overheat i would be greatfull for your input thanks again.

posted by  bmw528e

verify the t-stat is working first, If it works and there are other reasons the car is overheating, come back and we'll try to walk you through some generic type of diagnostics

posted by  tbaxleyjr

You could have a case of sludge build-up. You coolant/water ratio could be off. I don't know if the '83 528e has a distributorless ignition system or not. But if it has a distributor, your timing could be off.

*VERY IMPORTANT* When the car is at normal operating tempurature; not hot, not cold, when you feel of the radiator hoses; are they pressurized?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Yes there is pressure in the hoses but i thought that might be a bad water pump so i replaced it lol i havent check for pressure after that. I also thought that it could be the timing except that the idle is steady and normal does not go up/down, i will check the timing and get back to you guys!

posted by  bmw528e

There is still pressure in the hoses and way too much!!!!!!!, its sounding to me like its the head gasket :ohcrap:

posted by  bmw528e

If there is a slugde build up or blockage what would i use to clear the cooling system and/or how would i go about that is there a certain chemical that i would use to clean it out, a hose? im sure not how to do it if anyone knows?

posted by  bmw528e

A little info for you.http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/articleviewer.asp?section=hm&pg=ccr200 10501rm&print=1

posted by  lectroid

thank you for that i will try that tonight and get back to you guys tomorrow. :)

posted by  bmw528e

Your Message