Talon ESi Power Steering

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Talon ESi Power Steering

Hey everybody. I'm erich (if you've read my intro, i'm sure you know, but i don't expect that everyone on the board takes the time to read every intro)

I drive a 97 talon esi. I may not know enough about the workings of my car to ask this question, but if i leave anything out that is necessary for guidance, i would be more than happy to find out.

recently my power steering has been cutting out, often for long periods of time. Obviously the first thing i checked was fluid quality and level. I drained the reservoir and put in all new fluid, but to no avail. The Power steering is not off always, but cuts in and out, seemingly randomly, with no indication of specific speed or conditions, but i may be mistaken and just not noticing a pattern. in the past week or so it has been getting worse, with very few instances of proper functionality.

The car is front wheel drive with abs and stock suspension. To my knowledge no aftermarket work or reparis have been done to the suspension or to the power steering itself. The problem didn't coincide with any mechanical work or damage, etc, and has been going on for nearly 2 months.

Other necessary Information about the car:
1997 Eagle Talon ESi
2.0 liter DOHC
Maunal 5-speed Transmission
~120000 miles
Front wheel drive

P.S. I am inclined to think it is a bad pump, since i have seen no indication of visible fluid or declining fluid levels in the reservoir to indicate a fluid leak. Any input you may have would be greatly appreciated. If you need any additional information, please tell me, i would be happy to give it.

The best thing would probably be to take it to a mechanic, i know, but i would like to see if there is anything simple that i can do to fix it before spending too much money just to find out what is wrong. Thanks,

-erich

posted by  JeffGodOfBiskut

Step #2 would be make sure the belt is tight. :2cents:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Your Message