2000 Mazda Transmission Problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  2000 Mazda Transmission Problem

Hello Everyone and thank you for your help.

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege (1.8L FWD AUTO W/OD). I Recently noticed that when upshifting, the vehicle was not shifting as smoothly as it used to. About a 100 miles later the check engine light came on and the overdrive light keeps flashing. I took the car to the good old AutoZone and we got the code "P0771 Shift Solenoid E Performance or Stuck Off". I have been working on cars with my friends for years now but never wanted to even mess with the transmission. Just got laid off so messing with it is about the only option.

I would appreciate suggesions, and how much dissasembly is required to reach this selonoid.

Thank you very much for your time.

Donik

posted by  mullaademi

A transmission is nothing to be taken lightly. Everything has to be perfect for everything to work smoothy. You can't be serious about working on it and not even know how much dissasembly there is? If you wan't to tackle this, you'll need a specific manual for that transmission. And a tech book to deal with the specifics that first-timers need to know. A soleniod is fairly simple job, but you still need to have you a tech book and manual and take it very slowly. Just remember, transmissions are picky. You get any dirt in there, dust, dont torque everything perfect, it will never be the same.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Your Message