1976 Lincoln Continental MarkIV

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1976 Lincoln Continental MarkIV

I inherited my grandfathers Lincoln Continental MKIV which spent most of its life in a garage. It has about 40k miles on it, and is in excellent condition. I drove it for a year with no problems but recently the trans started acting funny. it doesnt want to go faster than 10mph and after a minute or two, it doesnt want to go anywhere (and it makes a funny smell). Reverse works great. A friend told me to have the trans flushed and filled because hes had similar problems with other GMs. The mechanic I took the car to says flushing and filling would be a waste and he wants to replace the trans.

do you have any ideas?

posted by  LincolnContinen

I'd say that unless the Mechanic had a good look at the car, he's only after your cash...in this case, lots of it too. I would suggest you drain and refill the Gearbox with fluid, It'll only cost a fraction of what a new Gearbox would cost (a reconditioned gearbox can cost over $1000....especially if it's an auto!)...I'm assuming it is an auto?...even if it isn't I still say flush her out and see what happens, it might be that the current fluid is either wearing too thin or that the level is too low, also bear in mind that after time, thin splinters of metal from transmission components will shave off and this obviously wont help either! :thumbs: (make sure you get the right fluid too :thumbs: )

Good luck :smoke:

posted by  Cliffy

Don't forget the filter! Take it to a service center that will drop the pan,clean it and replace the filter, FORGET flush and fill. Check your owners manual for the trans fluid specs and demand thats what shall be put back in. :2cents:

posted by  lectroid

Good point Lectroid, I may have miss read the opening post. Do you have problems actually getting the car in gear? if not, it might not be anything transmission related :smoke:

posted by  Cliffy

That's your typical jackass machanic bullsh*t spew.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I'd say your looking at a band adjustment and a foward clutch. But change fluid first and change filter.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Can you describe this smell?..

posted by  Cliffy

Does it smell like a pickled egg and beer fart?

posted by  lectroid

What's the difference in the two?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Can't describe it,(could melt the hair off your face) it's a smell you won't forget. Hope you have the chance to experience it, at least once in your life time :orglaugh:

posted by  lectroid

How bout sulfur and sewer gas, that's it :ticking:

posted by  lectroid

Thats pretty sick man. :screwy:

:laughing: :laughing:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Its an automatic, and the smell... its a foul burning smell. Not as bad as egg fart, but worse than a beer fart.

The mechanic Im talking to wouldnt be doing the work. He has a trans guy at another location but Im sure he gets some sort of kickback for referring people. Im very reluctant to dump all that money (at least $1300) in this car because it costs me a small fortune in gas every week.

Thanks guys!

posted by  LincolnContinen

Go to post #3

posted by  lectroid

Your Message