ecodiesel head

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  ecodiesel head

I have a 91 VW Ecodiesel 5speed with 199K miles on it. This past semester I developed a cracked head (after putting in new glow plugs and an engine block heater). I suppose the head was starting to go, but the 3 hour commute to Philadelphia just did it in. Anyhoo, my question is if I put on a new head, how much of the bottom end of the engine do I need to refurbish? I want to get this car back on the road. I was getting 50 miles per gallon before I had to give up and stop replenishing the coolant.

cheers

posted by  vwecodiesel

You shouldn't need to refurbish anything, obviously the head will need to have the valves seated properly and be torqued up to the right setting. Other than that, the bottom end should be fine as it is :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Due to the high compression on the diesel, isn't there a chance the restored pressure on the top would damage the bottom?

posted by  vwecodiesel

No. Unless something is bad wrong already. :doh:

posted by  DodgeRida67

DodgeRida is right..I live in the UK, and every other car is a diesel lol...and in my experience you should be fine! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Thanks,

This mean much less labour to pay for. My friends gave me a difficult time about getting the diesel, but I love it - no computer in this one! My next profession will be auto diesel mechanic, not many of them around here.

Wish I had a diesel last time we were driving around the UK

posted by  vwecodiesel

You're welcome, I've heard diesel is a rarity in the States, I've workined on many diesel cars and they can cause problems that petrol engined cars dont (ie; timing belt renewal :banghead: )..As I said though, you should be fine :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Not really rare. But they are rare used in cars. Trucks however, theres a lot of. Most all the "top-of-the-line" trucks here use diesel, or have them as an option.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Your Message