97 Jetta 2.0 ltr emissions, Dallas TX

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  97 Jetta 2.0 ltr emissions, Dallas TX

Check engine light continues to come on again after replacing distributor(with cam position sensor), repeated cleaning of throttle body, and subsequently driving anywhere from 35 to 100 miles. New air filter, not new but good plugs, car runs great, idles nicely, with very hard driving on last tank of 87 octane gas got about 29 mpg. Top end electric shop tells me "there is no other part that needs to be replace. (Incidentally also have new battery.) Son had similiar problem with 2000 jetta diesel, replaced many components, including mass air sensor, etc., then found there is a small screen in air inlet which is not noted in tech manual, found it heavily clogged. Any suggestions? Thanks. JTL

posted by  jtl60

JTL,

We seem to be having the same issue (I posted a question last night concerning my 97 2.0 ltr jetta). Does you code indicate a misfire? My car runs great as well - I am getting 32-34 mpg with 87 octane and it idles smoothly, except for those few cold starts that are roungh for about 2 seconds. I'll be watching your thread to see what folks suggest.

posted by  vwecodiesel

vwecoodiesel
wrote you a long response, but lost it trying to retrieve the following web site which you WILL be interested in seeing. Much discussion re our problem and I'm sure, links to more than I read. Let me know what you think. Try www.autohausaz.com/vw-auto-parts/emissions-oxygen-sensors.html

posted by  jtl60

I speak for everybody here when I say the best suggestion possible is to pull trouble codes.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I get the codes on my 97 jetta each time this happens and then clear them out to start fresh and new. Every code has been a misfire of some sort, one cylinder, three cylinders, random, etc. In four engine lights there is no pattern.

posted by  vwecodiesel

Jtl,

I tried the link and got an 'unavailable' notice. Is this for a discussion board? I am familiar with their parts - had to order a new grille after I ran over a christmas tree that fell off a truck on the PA turnpike just after Christmas.

posted by  vwecodiesel

I found this by searching on vw + emissions + maintenance via msn. --- www.autohausaz.com should get you to their home page and they have a posted maintenance tip on oxygen sensors. and yes they sell parts. Good discussion on buying parts also, obviously promoting their own services, but looks good to me. Did you compare to other options before buying from them? My son found another site (name escapes me at moment, where he bought for a 2000 diesel jetta at very substantial savigs over dealer quote on Bosch components. I have not done any online comparison shopping yet. JTL

posted by  jtl60

Your Message