What's the difference betweeen...

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  What's the difference betweeen...

Just a quick question guys. I was thinking of buying some aftermarket blue headlights for my car (pictured @ left) then I realized I know nothing about them.
My questions to you guys are: Is there a big difference between Halogen and Xenon and stock other than the gasses inside? And do I have to replace more than just the bulbs to get that cool blue look? Also, how much can I expect to pay for the good kind?

Thanks guys. You're the best. :clap:

posted by  93GrandAm

Ok, I'll clear a few things up for you here, Xenon headlamp bulbs are not just blue bulbs, they are bulbs that use Xenon gas technology and are usually fitted to up market cars such as BMW's and Mercs. These bulbs are extreamly expensive and are usually garanteed for lifem in other words, they dont blow...ever! These bulbs cost some where in the region of £80 a set in the UK, I'm not sure how that converts to dollars though. Actual Xenon headlights have been proven to work and increase visibility, they also look extreamly hightech and modern. The 'Blue tint bulbs' that you can pick up in the shops for slightly more that standard halogen bulbs quite frankly, aint worth a second glance. Most of the time they dont offer anywhere near as clear visibility as standard bulbs, and they are bassically a cosmetic touch to your car. Ok, you may only want them for cosmetic purposes, but believe me, they dont even come close to the look of real xenon bulbs. Also, these blue bulbs 'bounce off' mist & fog (if it's an issue there) where as xenons cut through it making visiblity clear in all weathers..hope that helps :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Thank you...I'll bear it in mind..people keep telling me but I keep forgetting lol :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

Don't you mean trade? Didn't know you could buy money? :laughing:

posted by  DodgeRida67

No..he means things cost so bloody much in the UK that it costs him loads to exchange his dollars :hi:

posted by  Cliffy

Now I'm confused. :doh: Oh well nevermind :laughing:

posted by  DodgeRida67

LOL...I meant that the exchange rate aint in his favour when coming over here :hi:

posted by  Cliffy

Thanks for the great info cliffy. I think what I wanted was xenon bulbs. but seeing as how they could cost me $160 American, it just doesn't seem worth it for an 11 year old car that I don't plan on keeping far into the future. Also,
if the cosmetic blue bulbs suck as much as you made them out to sound, then I won't even waste my time or money. Michigan does get rain and fog quite often.

posted by  93GrandAm

If you want xenon you will have to buy HID units to fit them in as they wont fit the current units. these are expensive $500 each just for non dipable main beem

posted by  cinqyg

OUCH! :badrazz:

posted by  93GrandAm

You're welcome, The blue bulbs can do more harm than good in some cases too :smoke:

And yes...it will have that effect on you...and your wallet lol

posted by  Cliffy

I found in general buying goods in the UK, especially American made, for some reason, the number stays the same and the $ changes to a pound symbol which surrently is the same as doubling the price! Except with Gasoline and that trebles at least :ticking:

posted by  HighWayMan

Well thats because of a number of reasons, VAT (sales tax) is 17.5% and american goods attract import duty.

We have very diffrent socioeconomic structure, which costs money, you cant expect to get free health care, pensions for all, minimum income guarentee without it costing something in terms of tax. I dont personally agree with some of the policys but we are a democracy and Labour got in so thats how it is.

There are some good things, try buying nice wine in the usa, its sooo expensive were as if you buy in brittain its alot cheaper and mainland europe is even cheaper.

Transport here is more expensive but atleat you can find a pint of proper milk! I spent weeks and weeks trying to find milk for my tea and not any were to be found in 7 states.

Telecomunications here work diffrently, bit like the pricipal established by the post, the sender pays the all the bill.

spices are cheaper here, you can buy full fat yogert.

cameras and photo processing is cheaper.

There are pros and cons where ever you live. Hope you dont hate everything that is here

posted by  cinqyg

very true

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I don't hate anything there. I was born and raised there. Didn't move to the US until 1983 and that was job related.

My comment was merely an observation. There much about living in the US that is not as good as the UK was, and others which are better. A great deal is also very little different.

You're correct in saying pros and cons wherever you live.

posted by  HighWayMan

Your Message