Tranny Problems

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Tranny Problems

Vehicle
89 Toyota Camry LE
2.5L V6
A540E Transmission (automatic)

Problem
The car starts and runs fine. When you put it in gear, the car jerks a little like it is going into gear. When you step on the gas, the engine revs real high and the car just barely crawls. I drained the fluid out of the tranny this afternoon and it was basically black.

The first got like this in September 2003 and has been sitting in my driveway ever since. When whatever it was that broke, broke, I was driving home late at night. I had just gone through a stop light and heard a loud clunk and there was a jerk. Then the car started acting like it does now. I had it towed home and havent had the time to fix it until now. Maybe a week or two before this happened, the car would sometimes shutter as you drove down the road. On the day that it happened, I noticed the fluid level was down some, so I added like half a bottle of Lucas because I thought it might be leaking.

I previously had transmission problems in November or December of 2002. The transmission was rebuilt by a friend of a friend that does that for a living. He said that the forward clutch was burned out. When we put the tranny back in after it was rebuilt, it started leaking. So we took it out again and had to replace the front pump seal.

I think I have covered everything, if not, then please let me know and I will try to answer anything I can. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem?

posted by  westernbrix

What does it do when you put it in reverse?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Now, it does the same thing in reverse as in any other gear. The rpm's go up, but the car barely moves.

When I had the problems before, it would go fine in reverse, it just wouldnt go forward. So I figure it is somethign different.

posted by  westernbrix

Im going to suspect two things. One, a bad pump. Two, a leak.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Judging by that statement and by the colour of the fluid when you drained it, I'm 95% sure that a seal is split and is leaking onto the clutch mechanism, causing the clutch to slip, which would explain how the car just 'crawls' along when you put your foot down

And the above statement also suggests that this has occured before, so, that's where I think the problem lies :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Anyone have any other ideas or support what has already been said?

posted by  westernbrix

:ticking: I don't know? Do we? :ticking:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Are we talking automatic or manual? i.e torque converter or clutch?

posted by  Wally

Your Message