Ignition key switch problem!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Ignition key switch problem!

I just recently bought a Mercedes from eBay. I was very excited when I went to pick it up to drive it back home from another state. I was having problem with the key in my ignition switch. That I can't get the key to come out after switching off. It was fine when I test drove it before taking delivery that I was able to take the key out. But now I can't, I have to struggle with it. Jiggling it or something. I'm sure the switch is fine that I can start it up or turn it off but I can't get the darn key out. :banghead: Any idea what may be causing it? If so, is it fixable? Any help would been appreciated since I don't want to drive down to my local Benz dealer, you know how much they charge to check it out, yet the switch would cost me.

posted by  bavarianracer

New ignition switch & key. :2cents:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Try spraying with a light lubricant,, WD 40, LPS 1.

posted by  lectroid

have a look if the key is true, you might have bent it in your pocket. atleast for one alightment you could just put it in a vice. the other well i will leave that to you.

posted by  cinqyg

Some cars require you to press a release button before turning the key another turn, to the off possition. It's usually only Japanese cars that have this devise, but if your car has one, it may be faulty, also, what make & model Merc is it?

posted by  Cliffy

It's a 96 Mercedes E320. Today I had discover another problem, I can't get my Transmission shift out of Park. Even thought it's running and with my brake step on to shift the gear but it won't shift out of Park.

posted by  bavarianracer

looks like ytou might have bought a lemon

posted by  cinqyg

These problems you are having are more than likely directly related.

It sounds to me that your have a problem with the anti-theft steering wheel locking mech. Or the Park-key-lock-out. It's nothing to monkey around with yourself so I'm going to suggest to hop on over to a dealership and not your regular machanic because they tend to screw up things such as this.

posted by  DodgeRida67

DodgeRida is right, I was unde the impression it was an older Merc, but the model you describe should have an electronic steering wheel lock....take it to a dealer! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message