New Member / Transmission Problem?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  New Member / Transmission Problem?

Hi there, My name is Maggie and I think I have a problem with my transmission...

Car Specs:
2000 Hyundai Accent 4 cylinder
38,000 miles
A/T

The worst part about my problem is that it only happens about half the time. I took it to a transmission shop and the guy took it for a spin, he came back and said that it drives like a dream. Of course, I know that something is wrong. When I use anything electrical in the car (i.e. air conditioning, windsheild wipers) it has a spazz attack, the transmission slips and I lose all the power from the engine. I can hear the engine revving up but the car crawls along at a snails pace. I checked the transmission fluid and it hasn't gone down and is still a good color, so I'm not thinking there's a leak. Could a problem with the ECU cause the transmission (which is electric) to slip and make the car unable to grab the power from the engine? Or am I really looking at a pump leak?

posted by  missmaggie82

Hello to you. The essence of a voltage loss is usually looked at from this type of perspective: The engine will receive the voltage first, then the trans, so if you have an excessive voltage draw in the engine, the valve body is the last guy to get any and can do strange things. I have seen stranger things happen, but most likely you are drawing all the current output for the AC which is a high demand item and losing the needed voltage to the valve body. As for any leaks, they should be obvious. Be sure your alternator is putting out the correct volt/amp needed to maintain the vehicle WITH EVERY possible option turned on at once. If you have a badbutt stereo system in your car, odds are good you have robbed the voltage needed to do the job throughout the car. Just having a bobby-bad-butt stereo system and the AC on is enough to draw badly needed voltage that would otherwise go elsewhere. In any case, it sounds like the voltage that normally would go to the trans is being used by an engine accessory and there is not enough to go around. Also, any resistance created in the valve body wiring of the trans tends to cause problems. I have seen mositure in trans fluid create resistance and cause slip shifts. While there are 10 things that can cause your problem, it is safe to say that you should check the output from the alt and the battery and work ******d from there. Be sure to keep your trans serviced at proper intervals, the electronics hate moisture and oxidized fluid. Take care

posted by  MsSnapon

Thank you so much for replying. I have worked on my car's wiring since I've had it. I put in a cd player and power door locks. My new question is: what is a "badbutt stereo system"?

posted by  missmaggie82

For lack of using french in this forum, it would be a system that vibrates other car windows at stoplights. Usually has a 4 gauge wire running directly to the battery, an inline mega amp fuse, a cooler and wires shooting out to multiple speakers.

posted by  MsSnapon

Your Message