what fell off my car??

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  what fell off my car??

While driving along this weekend, what appears to be a piece of housing fell off of the undercarriage of my 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe. The piece is about 15-18'' long and 5-6'' wide and fell off of the front middle section of the car. I'm not sure what it is meant to protect, but it is rounded as though designed to sheild a pipe of some sort. It has vents along both sides of it.

The piece was held on by four bolts, but the metal around each bolt rusted through. The final corner must have rusted through this weekend.

I'm trying to figure out what this part is so that I can replace it (I've been searching car part websites, but haven't had any luck so far). Also, if someone could give me a sense of how important this part is (i.e. is it dangerous to be driving my car without it?), I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

posted by  bleary

A picture would clear this up in a hurry. It would be nice and make our jobs easier. So a picture maybe? :thumbs:

As for how important what ever fell off you car is, I can't answer that until I know what it is. :laughing:

posted by  DodgeRida67

I won't be able to post a picture until tonight, but I will definitely post one (probably around 10 p.m. PST).

Thanks!

posted by  bleary

I'll be waiting :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Here's a photo of the part that fell off of my car. Someone has suggested to me that it might be the heat shield for the catalytic converter. Anyone able to confirm/dispute that?

Also, any idea if this would be an expensive part to replace?

http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v76/bleary/thething.jpg

posted by  bleary

It is not the catalytic converter itself. This looks like the heat shield for a catalytic converter. Its purpose is to protect the car floor or the grass below the car depending if it is on top or bottom from the intense heat the converter produces

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I'd keep that part stored but I personally wouldn't worry about replacing it. If anything I'd use some big washers to put it back on.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Thanks a lot everybody!

posted by  bleary

Catalytic converter heat sheild. :thumbs:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message